Trailer Coop on the Cheep

. I did not draw a proper roof pitch on the nest box - due to the exterior height it will have to be top opening and we'll go with a steep pitch so I don't push water into the nest box when I open it in wet weather.

Top-hinged nests are notorious for leaking at the hinge. If you can get a large roof overhang above them it will be a useful safeguard.

installing a removable sill to keep bedding in.

This is a great option.

What are your roofing plans?

We found metal roofing installed over purlins incredibly easy to work with.

Putting the joists up with hurricane ties instead of birds' mouth joints allows you to add soffit venting to the Monitor venting for even better airflow.

I hadn't finished this article the last time I posted on your thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

Searching the forums it seems poop boards 24" wide are pretty common. Anyone think 18" would be too narrow? I'm sure birds will jump down even with a ramp, and it's a tight squeeze.
My ramp is 12" wide and about 4' long. Seems to keep the flock happy unless they feel energetic and choose to fly up or down. Drop boards are 30" off the floor and roosts about 12" above that; roosts are at the back of a 16' deep coop so lots of glide path for their arial dismounts.

Top-hinged nests are notorious for leaking at the hinge. If you can get a large roof overhang above them it will be a useful safeguard.

This is a great option.

What are your roofing plans?

We found metal roofing installed over purlins incredibly easy to work with.

Putting the joists up with hurricane ties instead of birds' mouth joints allows you to add soffit venting to the Monitor venting for even better airflow.

I hadn't finished this article the last time I posted on your thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/
We were gifted a few boxes of asphalt shingles that we'll use. We both appreciate a deep overhang and will extend as far as we can. We could improvise an awning if need be.

We were also discussing lower ventilation for airflow, perhaps a portion of the people door in hardware cloth. And plexiglass to fit over in the winter for blowing snow. We don't get a lot, but enough.

My ramp is 12" wide and about 4' long. Seems to keep the flock happy unless they feel energetic and choose to fly up or down. Drop boards are 30" off the floor and roosts about 12" above that; roosts are at the back of a 16' deep coop so lots of glide path for their arial dismounts.
This is great to hear, thank you. I'll be making my boards narrower for sure. My Columbian Rocks are pretty chunky so an easy dismount will set my mind at ease. Plus this gives more options than plywood. We have several sawmill cast offs that are only flat on one side that may work well flat side up.

It's been slow progress. Life sure has been happening lately. I'm loving rural life, but some days I miss living 1 mile from Home Depot!

Hubs spent a day getting the holes all lined up and the floor joists bolted back on. Very frustrating and he broke a couple bolts. Gladly we had extra.
20220630_111706.jpg

Some more paint for overkill. Then we lined up the plywood and screwed it down. Using scraps made for interesting framing...each piece needs to be supported at the seams, outer edges, and in the middle.
20220630_112248.jpg

We will be attaching vinyl flooring, so we made sure all screws were sunk a little.
20220630_125627.jpg

We're left with a few gaps. There is a pretty rough spot near the tongue that got some tiny scraps. This will sit beneath a 2x4 once we get to framing but we need a stable and level-ish surface below.

Work has progressed to more patching! This time Bondo...still cheaper than plywood! Every gouge, seam, and screw head will get a thin coat, sanding, and a second coat if needed to prevent any tears in the vinyl.
20220705_090612.jpg

Reused food packaging to mix epoxy is pretty nice. This stuff thickens fast and dries hard. Rubbing alcohol is an OK solvent but still a bit of a pain. Now off to the store for more Bondo!

Rain, rain, rain. 6.76" for the month and more on the way. We'll likely beat 2021's total rainfall before the end of the month. The garden has really picked up, and I need to remind myself I've only carried the watering can into the garden 3 times this year.

Not much progress. We completed leveling the floor out. Though not as thoroughly as we'd do in a human house. It's fine!

20220708_105925.jpg

The floor got another coat of barn paint. Hubs worries about the moisture that can work its way under surfaces, creating problems you can't see.

We laid a sheet of vinyl down and stapled the rear side. Then we used a beam wrapped in old towels to smooth it out, working slowly and stapling as we went.

20220716_111215.jpg

We opted not to glue anything. There will be 2x4s laid on the outer edges...walls right on top of floors like a mobile home. With such a small area and not much weight, no sliding furniture or anything, it should do just fine.

20220716_113031.jpg

At the very least the vinyl will dry faster and sweep more easily than plywood. And now we wait for the rain to pass again!

Back
Top Bottom