training a dog to leave chickens alone

I have had many chicken friendly dogs during my life. Most killed at least a bird or two before training put a stop to it. None of the dogs were what you would consider exceptional with respect to poultry or other livestock and most were used for hunting raccoons, rabbits, squirrels or even foxes. Those dogs were invaluable for enabling chickens to be free-ranged. My assertions are based on experience, not simply reading a bunch morbid post or simply a couple of bad experiences with an untrained dog. There are many parties here that know their way around dogs and poultry; concentrate your queries with them to get sound advice on how to get dogs into a poultry friendly mode.
The trouble with this idea is the fact that there are a lot of people who either are not experienced enough to stay on top of the dog's training at all times to prevent an attack, or who will get tired of the amount of effort involved. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice any of my birds during the training process, either. And as for your assumption about my simply reading a bunch of morbid posts...my suggestions come from a lifetime shared with a huge variety of species living in the same space. Is my own dog respectful of my chickens? Absolutely. I have trained her myself not to harm any species. Even insects. I don't feel comfortable, however, encouraging everyone to allow dogs/chickens to be around each other unsupervised. Not everyone has the drive/desire to put so much time into training, and certainly not everyone has the right dog for the job. I would personally feel worse saying that, only to see them post a few weeks later devastated that their birds were needlessly killed.

You can teach your dog to leave them alone. And you could have a few losses but in the long run if the training is successful, then its worth it.
But if it continues, I would reassess how much I want a dog that disobeys you like that

The trouble with this idea is the fact that there are a lot of people who either are not experienced enough to stay on top of the dog's training at all times to prevent an attack, or who will get tired of the amount of effort involved. Personally, I wouldn't be willing to sacrifice any of my birds during the training process, either. And as for your assumption about my simply reading a bunch of morbid posts...my suggestions come from a lifetime shared with a huge variety of species living in the same space. Is my own dog respectful of my chickens? Absolutely. I have trained her myself not to harm any species. Even insects. I don't feel comfortable, however, encouraging everyone to allow dogs/chickens to be around each other unsupervised. Not everyone has the drive/desire to put so much time into training, and certainly not everyone has the right dog for the job. I would personally feel worse saying that, only to see them post a few weeks later devastated that their birds were needlessly killed.
Folks following your logic will continue to loose a lot more pet chickens to their own dogs than I do because they do not invest a little effort on front side that will protect them from losses when containment of dogs or birds fails. Several options exist to limit losses other than I suggest; stop setting up menageries, have only one species at a time, or put real effort into the design and construction of coops. The concept of harming nothing, including insects, is not realistic when you modify your environment to contain so many species in tight confines and you have to import to meet their needs. You have created a feedlot requiring intensive management that does not allow even the little insects to persist that would be there without your doings. The harm you create is through management rather than direct killing you strive to prevent. Outcome is same.

I just realized the the OP asked for advice on how to teach the dog to leave the hens alone.

Try a remote controlled shock collar. Right when the dog gets to the hens, give the dog a little jolt. They will associate the discomfort with the chickens and actually run away from the chickens when they get to close. My neighbor did this and it really did work!!!

I just realized the the OP asked for advice on how to teach the dog to leave the hens alone.

Try a remote controlled shock collar. Right when the dog gets to the hens, give the dog a little jolt. They will associate the discomfort with the chickens and actually run away from the chickens when they get to close. My neighbor did this and it really did work!!!
cafarmgirl did it very effectively. I have never used a shock collar in part because occasional interest in birds desired.

I have never needed to use one either. I have a very well behaved labrador who takes commands well. This hundred pound dog is scared of my polish rooster, who is very protective of his hens
cafarmgirl did it very effectively.  I have never used a shock collar in part because occasional interest in birds desired.

Just asked advice from a man who grew up on a ranch.... His words of wisdom were "shoot it!" ...

I couldn't even muster the energy to argue with that!! Haha!

You can train just about any dog at any age. It all depends on the tools you use.

One training tool I will NEVER EVER use are treats to reward good behavior.
When treats are used, what happens when you don't have treats.
You can easily tell a dog that has been trained with treats when seeing them with the owner or handler.
Watch the dog, if it is always looking at the handlers hand or hands, guess where the treats were.

Praise and affection are much better of a reward for obedience and good behavior. Your never without those.

Consistency and repetitive training exercises are by far the most important tasks to master for both owner and dog.

Start with the basics. NO........SIT..........DOWN..........STAY.
You can not expect a dog understand chickens or anything else that matter are off limits if they don't obey the basic commands instantly.

I always use a choker chain to train. The chain needs to be the correct size and used properly.
It must be able to release with no tension applied for it to work. If it doesn't chances are it is on backwards
To correct a dog with a choker chain, simply snap the leash back quickly just to the point of tightening around the dogs neck and then release it.
It is the zzzzziiiiiipppppppp sound of the ring moving on the chain and the feel of the slight tightening around the dogs neck that gets the dog attention and re focuses them.

Correct your dog instantly when they make a mistake.
With practice you will be able to tell they are about loose focus or do something undesirable correct with just a word.

If chain is tight around the dogs throat and / or the dog ever chokes......it is not being used correctly.
It is miss use that caused so many people to think that a choker chain is a cruel way to correct a dogs behavior.

I have never needed to use a shock collar on any of the dozens of dogs i have trained because they know what i say is what they are to do, even when they are out of my reach.

I have a 70lb chocolate lab that i got from a rescue when she was 3. She was a holy terror when i brought her home.
She would chase anything that moved with intent to kill. I worked with her for a week before i would let her out on her own.
I kept my eye on her for the next couple of weeks with only a strong NO to correct the chase / hunt instinct that flair up every once in a while.

Since then i have had no problem with her at all. Cats will literally use her as a rubbing post. She was even adopted by a kitten.

When i got chickens this spring, I had no reservations about letting them free range with her outside unsupervised.
She has been surrounded by the chickens, had them run under her, even pecked with no action taken by the lab.
The chickens actually feel safer with her around and are more adventurous when she is near.

Folks following your logic will continue to loose a lot more pet chickens to their own dogs than I do because they do not invest a little effort on front side that will protect them from losses when containment of dogs or birds fails. Several options exist to limit losses other than I suggest; stop setting up menageries, have only one species at a time, or put real effort into the design and construction of coops. The concept of harming nothing, including insects, is not realistic when you modify your environment to contain so many species in tight confines and you have to import to meet their needs. You have created a feedlot requiring intensive management that does not allow even the little insects to persist that would be there without your doings. The harm you create is through management rather than direct killing you strive to prevent. Outcome is same.
Interestingly enough, I have never lost a chicken to any of the dogs I have ever owned. Some were extremely well trained. Some were not and, therefore, never allowed around the birds. I suppose that puts me ahead of the game. Second, you should have at least some concept of what you are describing before you call my house and my animals a "menagerie" or a "feedlot". I run a rescue, sanctuary, and educational program for all the species that need it most. The ones that people tend to think are disgusting, or in this case, throwaways. Because I am in the business of saving and preserving lives, I cannot justify allowing my own pet dog to kill my birds, especially when it could have been avoided in the first place. To me, that is ultimately failing in the responsibilities that I maintain for the animals under my care. And please explain to me...what harm am I creating exactly? To what animals in my care?

Back
Top Bottom