Training Chickens

I have read that some members put a light in the coop. As dusk falls, they should, in theory migrate towards the lightest place. Once they are in, you can turn off the light.

CT

Freeze dried MealWorms :) I always "teach" my chicks from young the sound of "rattling" mealworms in a plastic container & the sound of my "clicking" = TREATS! Start of crumbling some in my hand, clicking my tongue & allowing them to eat out of my hand. As they get older some are not very gentle, hence the plastic container. I put some in an empty sour cream container, shake & click, they come running & I let them peck a few out of the container. In a very short time, they'll come running whenever they hear that shake or click.

Need to set a routine, about the same time every evening walk out to the coup, shake the container & they'll come running. Toss some in & close them up. Set up a routine, they'll set their clocks....Mine start hanging around the Run/Coop 4:30 - 5pm every day. See me coming with the container & run to the enclosure. I toss some treats & close them up.

MealWorms are a great training tool :)

We have seven chicks about the same age. Sunset is at 8:15 here now, and the chicks are winding down and all cuddling up to sleep in a corner of the run. I have to go in and scoop them up one by one, and put them all in the henhouse. This has been two days now. When do they figure it out on their own?

For the first week or so I had my chicks in the coop, I would go out 15 minutes before dark and put them in through the coop ramp one by one. We're about 2 weeks out now and they go in one by one on their own for the most part. Well except Larry, because of course roosters are punks.

For the first week or so I had my chicks in the coop, I would go out 15 minutes before dark and put them in through the coop ramp one by one. We're about 2 weeks out now and they go in one by one on their own for the most part. Well except Larry, because of course roosters are punks.
That's so Funny! lol
I have 32, three week old chicks.
The Cockerel I am keeping sits on the big rock in the run while everyone else has gone in for the night. I have to herd the bugger in every night.
Foghorn is my guys name. Had Ron last year but he attacked me too many times.

Last edited:
I have a small flock right now (6) this is my first time owning chickens and permitting everything continues going well I will definitely add on. I've been trying to handle Larry as much as possible to establish my dominance hahaha

Back
Top Bottom