Training dogs with chickens

winterwolf4

Songster
Feb 17, 2023
Oregon
Hi, I was wondering what are your tips for training a puppy to be around chickens. My in-laws heeler doesn't chase chickens for sport, but herds them. We are looking at getting a puppy and want to train them to not chase or hurt/kill chickens.

We also have sheep and goats we need to trian them to stay away from.

Just had a trial by fire unintended test of my Boxer puppy in chicken training. She passed!
6 months old, very food motivated,I’ve been sitting near the coop with my 8 old girls milling around wanting treats (dry corn tortillas). Been at it for a few weeks. She sits facing me (on leash at first) with a chicken on either side of her as they nibble little bits of tortilla simultaneously from my fingers. She’s very soft mouthed, so that made it easy, a dainty eater. Chickens whacked the bits out of my fingers. She would sneak in a few whiffs of feathers occasionally, and they’d peck on her brindle stripes once in a while. I then let her walk amongst them after several sessions and things were looking promising but I was no where near trusting her alone with them. Then I went out of town for a few days and my husband went down to the coop (it’s a bit away from the house, out of sight) and let the girls out to roam but bringing the dog up and in the house. He forgot them and never locked the coop door at dark. So this Boxer girl undoubtedly went down after dark, cruised inside the coop, caused no harm, and visited them this morning without us knowing as they wandered free range in our pasture, with her weaving in and out. I asked my husband this afternoon if he checked on the chickens while I was gone and he said yes, then OMG I NEVER LOCKED THEM UP LAST NIGHT! So I started running to the coop to see the possible carnage and there were 8 healthy old girls, happy to be out from dawn till afternoon because the door remained propped open overnight. I’m thrilled that this unusual training method worked so well and so quickly. My husband swears it’s because she learned these creatures are members of our pack. And I’m thrilled that a fox didn’t go in and do damage, with me assuming it was our almost trained dog that got them. I’m feeling fortunate today! This is Mocha, my good girl. But I’ll still keep an eye on her because she’s a puppy!!!
68F4915A-C4EE-416C-B48D-216CD3C21E37.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom