Training/Teaching a dog about chickens

I think keeping them on a leash and slowly putting them through the stimulation until it's no longer that interesting for them...I had mine on a leash (a short one) made her sit/lay down and put some chicks near her. She would shake...I would wait. With repetition the tension in her body and the shaking subsided pretty quickly. Then I moved the chicks in....then she was aloud to be standing...then sitting without a leash...etc. Slowly move towards the dog being with the chickens independently when you see that they are no longer fixated on them. With repetitions it's no longer that interesting for them, it just becomes whatever.
I think the dog's personality is huge on how quickly they learn. My Pitbull mix has a desire to please me (the 'Alpha dog') so much that if I say stay, she will not move even if you put a steak in front of her. So she was easy to train...

During training...stiff as a post!

Example of how this dog just does what I say...you want me to hold this chick on my nose?

This is her after training...she just lays with the chicken...and they want nothing to do with her, hahaha.
Can I just say, WAY OFF TOPIC, This is the most beautiful dog!
love.gif

We only use them for walks. As soon as the dogs hear they they come running and sit for me to put them on. They look at it as a wonderful thing and not a punishment. We used E collar on the pit mix when he was young he hated it, if he is having a bad bark at every leaf that falls day, we cdm just put a headlamp on him and he stops. It's very funny how that works, he is 10 and hasn't had the E collar on since he was 18 months old

I'm no expert on dogs nor chickens. One of our dogs is a Brittany spaniel. She's a bird dog. She stalks, points, all that. When we added chickens to the backyard, her and my other dog, a mix, wanted a taste. We never entertained the idea of mixing them together.

At one point we moved our run right up by the back door. The dogs had to walk inches from the chickens every time they came in or out. After about a year, they stopped paying the chickens any attention.

One day I had the chickens out of the run, and the dogs snuck out the basement door. They were walking around among the flock for about fifteen minutes before I realized it. They never gave the chickens a second look. Now they live in peace together. Lol.

I'd say give it lots of time and be very patient!

Placement of a prong collar, or regular collar, is important. The collar should fit tight enough to remain behind the jaw just behind the base of the skull. This is more sensitive and doesn't injure the trachea such as when the collar is placed too low on the neck. In regard to shock collars, sometimes they are helpful, but only if the user of the remote knows timing means everything in regard to issuing the shock. If the person training can't refrain from using it like a television remote, they aren't fit to use a shock collar on a dog. The various training methods being effective, depend on the character of the dog. The balance of positive and negative reinforcement determines much also.
You know your collars! Lol. I must admit, I'm surprised. :)

Personally, I don't even like to use regular collars. I train my dog "naked" usually, unless I feel that there's a chance he can run off. Then I use a well-fitted harness that doesn't rub against his arm pits. But almost 100% of our training involves nothing more than a clicker and treats(for my dog, I use green beans because he has an issue with gaining weight, but for really really difficult behaviors I use chicken or liver). I didn't like using a prong because it literally did nothing. It didn't lessen pulling at all, and he never seemed phased by it. I did finally put it away when he lunged sharply and caused some damage to his neck. They do say not to use prongs for lunging dogs, lol. It's interesting that some people use them for punishment, considering a lot of police academies use them to amp a dog up.

Personally, I don't even like to use regular collars. I train my dog "naked" usually, unless I feel that there's a chance he can run off. Then I use a well-fitted harness that doesn't rub against his arm pits. But almost 100% of our training involves nothing more than a clicker and treats(for my dog, I use green beans because he has an issue with gaining weight, but for really really difficult behaviors I use chicken or liver). I didn't like using a prong because it literally did nothing. It didn't lessen pulling at all, and he never seemed phased by it. I did finally put it away when he lunged sharply and caused some damage to his neck. They do say not to use prongs for lunging dogs, lol. It's interesting that some people use them for punishment, considering a lot of police academies use them to amp a dog up.

I do off leash at every opportunity using it always as reinforcing their training. Treats of course. Unless the dog could be at risk (in which case you don't take the risk) the you form a much stronger bond of respect for sure.

I've seen tone and certain words used to excite dogs, but not collars.
I've had Australian Cattle Dogs for many years. They are high drive dogs. I start them out young on leash attached to my belt while I do chores and tend to birds out by the barn. The dog must go where I go and I can control the dog. I teach the dog to walk behind me, at my side, but not in front of me. I prefer a regular martingale collar on a young dog. If the dog is not responding well to that, I use something different. I have one in particular I use a Herm Sprenger Neck-Tech. It is a martingale prong-type collar. The teeth are triangular shaped and have a rounded point. They simulate Mom's teeth. I've often witnessed dogs pulling more on harnesses and never had any use for them.

The main thing to teach a dog is to "lie down" when told to so. That is the point of control when things begin to get out of control. If the owner of the dog cannot get the dog to stop or lie down, he/she cannot go any further until that is accomplished. Once the dog stops, you get the dogs attention, and begin again. Mine do not get the reward of working or being around other animals if they misbehave or do not listen. We walk away as punishment, and come back later, or the next day to try again.

Last edited:
Quote: I don't use the prong for punishment.....We use to to walk the dogs I live on a county highway, with all kinds of distractions, horse and buggies, cows, goats, off lease dogs and cars. We use the collar high on the neck and it does keep our dogs at our side. I would love to have my dogs off leash and walk behind me, I worry about the cars. When in the yard (no fence) no one is on lead except for my 18 month old Pyr and she is on a 60 ft trainer to teach her recall. She has a nose that will get her in trouble if left off lead, so for now we are teaching her recall and she doesn't bother our birds, the others never did. My border/lab mix actually when I have stuborn meat birds that don't want to go to bed will herd them in there pen for me and has never tried to bite or smash them, he just nudges them when I tell him to pen them. I've never seen cops use them to amp there dogs, I think they are already amp when the sirens start going and the K9 cop gets them working.

Hm, I thought it was a very common thing? I've been told by other professional trainers who do bite work that prongs are used to keep the dog amped up, but not used as a punishment tool.

Due to his arthritis and recently-torn ACL, my dog can't sit or lie down, and even stopping too quickly can further his ACL injury. But he has an awesome recall so I use that if I need to, but he's been taught to do regular "check ins" so he never wanders too far anyway. I do have to walk him on a leash because of leash laws, though.

Dogs pull on harnesses if they've been taught to, definitely. And it is indeed easier to gain leverage. Which is why, when dealing with a particularly strong dog or a dog who lunges, I prefer to start training indoors, and work my up to strange places.

Oh, but this is off-topic! If you're curious or want to discuss more, feel free to send me a message! :) But I don't want to steal fromthe conversation anymore.

Much of the advice given has been great. :) I hope that you (the poster) succeeds and all animals are capable of coexisting, but don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom