Training/Teaching a dog about chickens

I just read this. I LOVE this idea! It is so practical, and brings back bad memories. When I was much younger my mother-in-law had "guard-geese." I remember thinking she was crazy, but after being attacked by one, I was convinced that geese are fearless yard guards. I had never thought of utilizing them this way.

Do the geese bother you and other people? I ask because of my experience... If not, how did you achieve this?

Thanks very much.

I taught our 2 dogs to leave the hens alone by watching the dogs closely, clapping and saying "no (dogs name)" if he moves toward them...you will recognize the look. And into the house the dog goes for any infractions. Leaving the hens and dogs alone together must occur slowly over time, depending on the dog. Our older dog leaves the hens alone, and has even become watchful of them...but has recently started raiding the eggs. Our younger dog cannot be trusted alone with them...he thinks they love to play chase with him.

my new white german shepherd (only correct spelling of btw), was a bad cat goose duck and chicken ect killer. First thing she did was go for a couple of cats and chickens, and having her on standard leash, putting opposite end loop into slip lead, so loop was coming down on side had her on (otherwise as with any type of coller, constant and maybe even strangling/choking/pinching/poking pressure ruins effect), was enough to stop her at well over a hundred pounds, with my bad back, after having to do couple times maybe at most for each. never had trouble since, but i was trained to handle and work with military police and private security dogs that had been trained to attack and kill and had in many cases PEOPLE. as well as worked with hunting and herding dogs ect.. i feed my dogs leftovers straight from and while butchering chickens, and surprising no trouble.. yet! problem is people either are not firm enough initially (I've professionally worked with hundreds at least, and dozens privately), OR way to harsh and abusive even. dogs don't connect and hold being hit with respecting you as boss you should be. they may fear and walk aren't on eggshells when around, but thought to do just repressed temp. poking pinching or jerking neck quickly firmly but not hard (as then your challenging and can creat stubborn standoffish behavior more maybe even when not around), is quite enough to tell dogs in own language that your boss and correcting. if your frail, young child or older person and not able to control by slip lead easily, then can easily make head halter out of slip lead, add another slip lead to just above hips, or just push out on or poke hips slighty to throw off dog from lunging or jerking ect. Training dogs with food quick short term fix, and what some really teaching is that you are boss controlling feed and what and when to eat. teaching a dog of any age and backround to come, go, stay/down, take it, leave it, is best first and formost, as shows your boss and helps erase negative things from past. a decent slip lead, and maybe appropriate sized plastic dog crate for when not training at first if problem dog so doesn't have chance to relapse and cause trouble are only training tools you need really. I've rehabbed most fighting pitts (some dock fighting champions for years before tossed/rolled or rescued, so bred trained and obviously successful at to the death fighting), in one to two weeks at very most, they then go on to become great service and therapy dogs. neutering is great step, easier as you go, but hormones are still active coursing rising to try to compinsate as start to drop, for week to many months sometimes. I've never had any dog get fat and lazy from neutering, BUT if you don't work your dog, as they start to fill out more as nerviuos hormone levels start to go down, they can start to then get fat and sickly, though the feed plays a very large part too.

Last edited:
I highly recommend herding type dogs mainly german shepherds/mixes, and rough collies, border collies/mixes, pittbulls and jack russel terriers. they have high energy/power and speed to ward off things as well as to follow flocks using prey drive even, and can be taught to herd fast or slow and gentle to go to certain areas or stay away from like gardens or roads and neighbors yards, not to mention pen up at night, and track eggs down. this all takes a week or two maybe of constant work casually, usually just keeping them slip leaded close as you work and show what to do or not do. any dog is trainable for anything, but Im lazy and want easy results, but each dog needs to be able to be able to be assessed, even dogs you've had for years.

My current dogs, a german shepherd, and rough collie, are so bonded so quick to flock and each other that if i get after dogs, ducks (scovys), will hiss, strike at and try to chase me away or get between and flap at, all in all acting goose or swan like mildly aside from honking or quacking even. the hens and roos will try to defend dogs. on other hand when preds come up that too much to mob on own (my over dozen scovy only two adults in, can fend off a pyranees that wanted baby duck dinner), the birds, especially the young scovy, will go quickly under th GSD now and try to look tough as she gets after whatever. if i put up the dogs in pen or chain them, the ducks stay by them, and chickens come close cuddle up play around and sometimes lay eggs around and under, also chickens and ducks and pigeons even ect will eat at same time and dogs never even growl, though will leave out of frustration or just no more room to get at as covered in birds. lol. Hardest dogs to work with were hounds and gun/bird dogs, they're just as easy to train not to do something but otherwise just really ADHD..

Last edited:

I started training my two Aussies when my first bunch of chicks were still in the brooder. These two have high prey drives as part of their job is pest removal so I knew from the start it was going to take work to get these guys chicken friendly.
I began by putting a leash and collar on them and keeping the leash very short I would just take the dogs in for a quick 5 second sniff of the brooder several times a day. After a few days of going in to see the "babies"(the label I gave the chicks for the dog) I gradually lengthened the time spent in the room. I would try to do this at times when the dogs were relaxed or tired so they weren't too worked up before we started. After the newness wore off I would make the dog sit by the door quietly before we would go in. This was the beginning of the training for control of the dog around the birds. Gradually we worked up to the point of being able to sit in the room with the brooder (with a very well secured top) and watch the chicks. There were a few pokes at the top of the brooder and some excited barks but it gradually subsided. Over time the herding and protecting instincts of these dogs kicked in and we would have to check and make sure the babies were ok numerous times throughout the day. If the chicks started getting loud the dogs would whine and fuss until we went in and made sure everything was ok.
After we moved them outside we put them in a large run with sturdy wire and let the dogs watch them do there thing. This help desensitize the dogs to quick movements, wing flapping, vocalizations etc. that would set off prey drive. If we saw inappropriate behavior we would correct it. When we would see the dogs become too interested (staring) we would respond with a sharp leave it. Within a month or so we started letting the chickens out by themselves without the dogs around and let them get used to free ranging in new surroundings. Then gradually we introduced the dogs on leash to the chickens. First from a distance then gradually working closer. We had a few little runs at the chickens, but a few stern corrections stopped that. Within a few weeks we were able to let everyone out together without incident.
I cannot emphasize enough that this was a very gradual process and until I was absolutely sure of my dogs they were never left out with the birds unsupervised. Better to err on the side of caution. Also, these are herding dogs that are bred to protect livestock. Instinct and prey drive vary widely among breeds. Don't expect to have the same results with a sight hound, terrier or other breeds that were bred to hunt and kill prey. You may be able to modify behavior, but you cannot change a dogs nature. Most of all, just have patience with your dog. This is a process that takes time.
As you can see now they are my "nanny" dogs for new chicks. The hen in the picture brought her chicks over to Malcolm as the other larger hens were getting a bit aggressive with the chicks and she knows he will protect her. He would put himself between them and the other hens and give the aggressors a shove off with his muzzle. The dogs now keep squirrels and wild birds away from the chickens as well as patrol for hawks and eagles. For the most part now they pretty much leave the birds alone. Worst thing that happens now is an occasional curled lip when one of the hens tries to peck the spots off of Malcolm's muzzle.
Hope the suggestions help.

Oh... We just lost our Ajax... He was 11 and slowing down a lot over the last 6 months, so it wasn't totally unexpected... but one day last week around 5pm, he just... he just suddenly wasn't able to stand up or walk... by the time we got him to our vet first thing the next day, he struggled for the strength to lift his head... It was his time... So... we made the heartbreaking decision to help him go. He was such a wonderful dog... and we will miss him.

We now only have our girl, River. She's a mini Aussie, apparently now known as a Mini American Shepherd.

We will be looking for another dog in the coming months... preferably another Mini American Shepherd. So, we'll be in training mode again. I will happily share the experience if it is welcomed.

I loved seeing the pictures of your dogs, and so sorry that you have now lost one. But at least you have all those happy memories to think of. I agree with you time and patience with this type of dog as you cant hurry it and it reaps its rewards. My dog and chickens just love being together and so does the cat they don't worry about each other at all. I look forward to hearing all about your new dog.

Back
Top Bottom