Transition from Brooder to Coop Run

Flwrsmkmehappy

Chirping
Feb 6, 2023
I have a 6 week old flock, my first. Our new coop and run is basically finished. I’m getting worried about the whole transition thing from brooder to coop. 😩. It feels like the more I read the more confused I get. We live in Cincinnati area. We are planning on weening them off the heat lamp as they have a a heated garage. However they don’t know daytime and nighttime. Wish there was a solid step by step process on just how to do it. Please any help/info would be so appreciated!

It feels like the more I read the more confused I get.
That's because there is no "one" way or "best" way to do this. That applies to almost everything to do with chickens. You have so many options it can get really confusing.

We live in Cincinnati area. We are planning on weening them off the heat lamp as they have a a heated garage. However they don’t know daytime and nighttime. Wish there was a solid step by step process on just how to do it.
They are six weeks old. I don't know what temperature you keep that garage but they do not need any supplemental heat. Probably haven't for a week or more, it is a heated garage.

Chickens often don't like change but they can adapt. The first time they are in total darkness they can complain but they will soon get used to it. Some people train them for this by turning the lights off and immediately turning them back on, then repeat but get a bit longer each time. I don't, I just turn the lights off and walk away. They may complain a while but usually quit in 10 to 15 minutes and go to sleep. The next day they may complaint a bit but not for long. They adapt.

I looked at your 7-day forecast. The lowest I saw was 28 F. At 6 weeks old they should be able to handle that without any real acclimation but they may not like it a lot. I'd have already had them out there but if you want to wait until Sunday there is nothing wrong with that. Just because they can survive and probably handle it pretty well doesn't mean they have to be out there.

Thank you! That is definitely helpful! Now, once we move them to coop, how many days should they be in before allowing them access to run? Also should “run time” be in increments until they are comfortable?

Many people suggest one week to get them used to the idea that the coop is a safe place to sleep. Chickens tend to put themselves to bed when it gets dark in the same spot. Most of us want that to be the coop so we can lock them in there away from potential predators. For many, one week is enough so they imprint on the coop for that. But it doesn't always work. Often, mine put themselves to sleep in the run under the pop door even if they were left locked in the coop section only for a week or even longer. So every night I have to scoop them up and lock them in the coop until they learn to go in on their own.

My normal method is to put them in the coop section for a week, then open the pop door. Sometimes mine are all in the run within 15 minutes. One time it took well into the third day before they left the coop and went into the run. You'll see posts where "My chicks won't go into the run! What is wrong with them?" As far as I'm concerned, nothing is wrong with them. Each chick is an individual and each brood is different, I let them work these things out at their pace. Some people don't like to do that. I have food and water both in the coop and in the run so I don't have to worry about them starving to death or dying of thirst. They generally won't anyway as long as food and water are available somewhere.

Ok thank you so much for all your help! Great information for us newbies!! They have an awesome coop and run and so can’t wait till they settle into their new space! You are much appreciated! ❤️❤️

Chickens often don't like change but they can adapt. The first time they are in total darkness they can complain but they will soon get used to it. Some people train them for this by turning the lights off and immediately turning them back on, then repeat but get a bit longer each time. I don't, I just turn the lights off and walk away. They may complain a while but usually quit in 10 to 15 minutes and go to sleep. The next day they may complaint a bit but not for long. They adapt.

My normal method is to put them in the coop section for a week, then open the pop door.
x2 on both of these. They don't like having to switch to a day night cycle if they aren't used to it, but I feel it's often harder on the keepers than the chicks. They will cry and complain. As long as they're safely in the coop, just let them cry, they'll get over it.

For my first batch of chicks I did keep them confined in the coop a couple weeks, maybe? My run wasn't finished at the time so they had to stay locked in, but it had the effect of homing them to the coop without any further effort from me. As I now I have a mixed age flock I no longer actively home chicks to the coop, they will follow the example set by the adults.

Thank you Flwrs for posting this question and thank you ALL for the great responses! I am in the nearly same exact boat--First time chicken owner, having my 10 RIR chicks in a heated basement garage for the last 5 weeks. We will finish the coop/run this weekend and we are ALL more than ready for them to move to their 'palace'. The crazy difference is that my chickies are going to be living at our weekend farm, and we have actually been transporting them between our two places for the last few weeks (they have been able to adapt to their crazy transport schedule quite well). Our farm is in middle Georgia, and the coldest it will be this coming weekend/week will be 43 (F). I used a brooder plate for a heat source, but took it away last weekend (giving them some extra flying/running space in their pen as a bonus). I also have been giving them a dimmer light at night since I got them, and for the last two nights they've had no light (I'm turning the lights off before complete darkness so they can get used to the gradual light diminishing through the garage door windows). I've arranged to have a full 10 days starting this Friday at the farm to train them to go into their coop at night. I just hope and pray that 10 days is enough. We are making the coop/run super secure and predator-proof, but I do have a few questions:

* If I cannot get them trained to go into the coop at night in 10 days, what do you think the long-term consequences would be, if any? I mean, if they don't 'get it' now, will they just always refuse the coop? (I will have an 'always access' opening for them from coop to run)
* The coldest temperatures they've experienced to date has been about 65 (F). Though the days will be quite mild, will they be ok to plunge them into a sudden 20 degree nighttime difference? (They are pretty much 'fully feathered', except for some tiny bit of fuzz sticking out from the back of their necks--which, actually, may be gone by this weekend anyway).

Thanks again for your willingness to share your knowledge. I have been lurking here for quite some time, searching for answers to burning questions and preparing to care for my little ladies. You all have been a tremendous help!

T
* If I cannot get them trained to go into the coop at night in 10 days, what do you think the long-term consequences would be, if any? I mean, if they don't 'get it' now, will they just always refuse the coop? (I will have an 'always access' opening for them from coop to run)
My concern would be how predator proof is the run. You can train them later if you feel the need.

* The coldest temperatures they've experienced to date has been about 65 (F). Though the days will be quite mild, will they be ok to plunge them into a sudden 20 degree nighttime difference? (They are pretty much 'fully feathered', except for some tiny bit of fuzz sticking out from the back of their necks--which, actually, may be gone by this weekend anyway).
It sounds like you have been acclimating them. At five weeks they can easily handle a low of 65 F. I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through nights in the mid 20's F. Even if you are talking about 45 F (65 - 20) I don't see a problem.

The first 10 days I'd want them sleeping in the coop so they are out of the wind. That's an abundance of caution. They should be sleeping in the ground and they are pretty good at avoiding wind when they have options.

That's because there is no "one" way or "best" way to do this. That applies to almost everything to do with chickens. You have so many options it can get really confusing.

They are six weeks old. I don't know what temperature you keep that garage but they do not need any supplemental heat. Probably haven't for a week or more, it is a heated garage.

I looked at your 7-day forecast. The lowest I saw was 28 F. At 6 weeks old they should be able to handle that without any real acclimation but they may not like it a lot. I'd have already had them out there but if you want to wait until Sunday there is nothing wrong with that. Just because they can survive and probably handle it pretty well doesn't mean they have to be out there.
They're like children..."just go to sleep!"
:gig :lau;)

Back
Top Bottom