Trapped raccoon

Dora'smom :

I don't think there is anything humane about drowning an animal. The fight for life while submerged goes on whether you care to think about it or not.

That's how I felt about the drowning. Not to judge anyone else...it was what we were going to have to do if we couldn't think of another option. It's as humane as I can think of and I hope the poor beast suffers less than my chicken did when he killed her.​

Ok, just to let anyone who may be thinking of trying this method know, there was no "deep, warm sleep" part. Feeling pretty crappy right about now, but I know it had to happen. Next time, we'll just release it in forest park, but that's a death sentence too. Just one I don't have to be involved in.

Quote:
That's how I felt about the drowning. Not to judge anyone else...it was what we were going to have to do if we couldn't think of another option. It's as humane as I can think of and I hope the poor beast suffers less than my chicken did when he killed her.

Difference is a raccoon doesnt know the difference when it kills a chicken... it dosent know that its hurting them.. its just trying to eat to stay alive.
We as humans DO know better.. or are supposed to anyhow...
hmm.png

Glad your not going to drown it...
hmm.png

Last edited:
Next time, take it out of city limits and shoot it. Maybe you have a friend/coworker/family who lives where weapons can be discharged.

Please, please only release when it is dead.
smile.png
And then a deep hole is always nice.
tongue.png

Sorry about your hen.

Quote:
If you're going to trap, you need to be prepared to dispatch. Otherwise, you shouldn't trap in the first place. Otherwise you're just putting it in my back yard. Besides, unless you relocate the bugger a seriously long distance away (probably at least 20 miles or more), he's likely to come back. On top of all that, you'd also be breaking the law.

Some related info: http://audubonportland.org/backyardwildlife/brochures/relocation

Thanks guys. I am prepared to deal with the consequences of trapping the animal, I just want the most pain-free way to do it. If I could get a dart-gun that shoots the pink liquid they use at vets' offices, that would make me happiest.

. Maybe you could get an idea from a wildlife Vet. I'm going to try to find one Just for this porpose. They should have humane gas chamber. BUT if you talk to people who have drowned and brought back and survived, they said after the struggle it was the most peasefull feeling they had ever had....euphoria...makes you wonder.
cool.png

Quote:
No.. it doesnt make me wonder..
it hurts like hell to get fluid in your lungs..

Last edited:
Find out what your local Animal Care & Control will do for trapped raccoons. In my county they will accept them and humanely euthanize them. Sometimes they charge a fee, like $10-$20. Other times, especially when rabies are rampant, they'll take them for free.

Some folks like this option, knowing the animal will be handled by professionals and feel little/no pain before the end. Other folks think this is really more cruel than shooting/drowning at home. The animal stays in the trap for a longer time, has to endure the drive in the car/truck, and has to be manhandled by the ACC staff in order to get it out of the trap & in a position for injecting. There is also the risk of injury to you when handling the trap to place it in your vehicle, and a risk of it urinating or defecating there.

The folks I know who drown their trapped raccoons say it's really over in 60 seconds. They pre-fill the barrel and make sure the trap is tied/wired shut. When they place the trap fully into the water the animal only struggles for 30-45 seconds before going limp. A lot shorter time of panic than being driven somewhere.

The only other option is to build your coops 100% raccoon-proof and never forget to close the door at nightfall.

Remember that in most places the populations of raccoons have increased along with development. Their natural predators are less, they aren't shy about living near people so their habitat has increased. Food is more easily accessible and therefore they have larger litters. I think they're cute only when they're in the wild far away from my home.

Back
Top Bottom