Traveling

I don't have any "chicken" friends, but my neighbor is right across the street and I'm sure she will do everything I ask. I just worry about my babies.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Bree

We don't go any place far except for over to the beach to spend a weekend visiting my in laws, but this Thanksgiving we are going on our first vacation in 6 years and since we have gotten our 47 hens, 15 goats, 7 rabbits and two barn cats. My brother usually comes over with my 13 year old nephew who loves helping take care of the animals with us. I let them collect and keep the eggs. Payment for their services.
smile.png
We have a 5 month old puppy so our daughter is coming to housesit and take care of the funny farm this trip. Do you have someone you work with or that has a teenager that you trust to take care of them for you? I am going to look into our 4-h next month at the fair to see if there is a young person close by that would love to just help out when we need help with the goats etc. That way I will have someone that knows how we like things done and can take care of our animals if we decide to take a small vacation. We own our own business so it is hard to go on vacation for a long time. My last kid is moving out today, so it is bitter sweet. I will miss my kids, but looking forward to just my hubby and me. So I want it all. My animals and to be able to take a small trip here and there when we want to. You can always call the neighbor and check up on your girls so you can enjoy yourself. If you are getting the amount of eggs as when you take care of them then I would say they are doing just fine. Ask them to do a head count also for your peace of mind. Sorry this got long.

Another way I feel better about leaving is doing all I can to make life in the pen interesting... a seed/feed block... a bale or two of straw to jump up and down from... a few branches as new, temporary roosts... waterer, in case for some reason someone doesn't show up for a day... a whole pumpkin , or something similiar, for food and activity. I can even leave mine for a weekend without anyone checking on them when I do these things for them. They may not be as happy without their regular routine, but they will be fine and thrilled when you come back. I also don't let mine free range while I'm gone because they are not as familiar with my chicken sitter and might get freaked by a strange person putting them in. Have a great trip!

I went away to Disney World last spring for 5 days and had 10 two-week old chicks in the brooder. Before I left I noted how much food and water they went through in a week so I could make sure they had enough. The last thing I did before we left was fill both the feeders and waterers and the first thing I did when we got back was check on them--they came through just fine with no one caring for them. Adult birds are actually harder, especially if they're laying, but I have a pet-sitter who fills the feeders and waterers and picks up the eggs. About the only thing I had to teach her was to toss in a scoop of BOSS to keep them out from underfoot. The chickens are confined the whole time but, aside from being really happy to see me when I get back, have not had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom