Treating Coryza

Quote:
Not all birds will remain carriers. That is a common misconception. There will be some, yes, and those you have to hunt down and cull. It is not a fun process, it is very lengthy, and is best done working closely alongside a professional, i.e. a poultry vet.

As far as antibiotics go, nothing will treat Coryza other than Gallimycin and that will only treat it, it won't take care of any carriers.

If you suspect Coryza then I would most definitely contact your extension office so they can put you in touch with someone who will help.

I am considering culling the pullet, but according to the two vets, and 2 longtime chicken guys I spoke with, they do not remain carriers, simply that birds that get coryza have a low immune system and are more susceptible to getting sick. There is no possibility I am going to cull my entire flock when only one of them has gotten sick, and she is a new bird.

Quote:
Not all birds will remain carriers. That is a common misconception. There will be some, yes, and those you have to hunt down and cull. It is not a fun process, it is very lengthy, and is best done working closely alongside a professional, i.e. a poultry vet.

As far as antibiotics go, nothing will treat Coryza other than Gallimycin and that will only treat it, it won't take care of any carriers.

If you suspect Coryza then I would most definitely contact your extension office so they can put you in touch with someone who will help.

I am simply going off what I was told by people that have dealt with coryza. But I am likely going to cull the pullet anyway just so I dont ahve to worry about it. Not looking forward to it
sad.png
as she is a pretty little thing but she has only been here a few weeks and seeing as how nothing else is showing any symptoms, I am guessing she came here with it, the big majority of my birds came from show breeders, and I think most of them have already been vaccinated before I got them, so culling the entire flock isnt necessary. Sulmet is said to treat it, I was told there were several meds that treat it, gallimycin being one of them but nto the only one. When I get told 3 or 4 different things from 3 or 4 experienced chicken raisers and vets, it is more than aggravating.

Last edited:
I have one less bird now
sad.png
. It had gotten worse when I got home a little bit ago. It has been 5 days since she was first put with any of my birds, and none of them or any of the new birds we brought home with her have shown any symptoms. But if they do I am nto gonna take any chances. BUT I am gonna vaccinate all my birds tomorrow against coryza. None of them show symptoms, so is there any reason I cant vaccinate them? I have had them on sulmet as a preventative since I noticed that one was sick, would it be ok to vaccinate the others that arent showing symptoms?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
hugs.gif

I would go ahead and vaccinate the others if they haven't shown any symptoms. It seems like when my flock got infected it just snowballed with in a few days time, so I would most definitely go ahead and vaccinate if the rest seem healthy.

all my birds (with the exception of the ones that have had shots already) are gettin vaccines today. She was such a pretty little pullet, but at least I hadnt had her too long, and hadnt named her
sad.png

Well my story sounds way too familiar...I'm new to owning chickens, we got 3 pullets this summer and added 2 from the same person a month later but this time the buff was sick, rattling, wet cough, the reputable urban rancher gave antibiotics and said she will be fine, we also got a light Sussex that when we got home she was sneezing, we quarantined, the buff was better, so we added them in, a week later all of the pullets are sneezing, we get more antibiotics from the reputable rancher (selling sick pullets as we are picking up more meds) saying chx do this when they are stressed, we lightly dosed with Tylan in the water for all and we had to dose 2 separately because they were sick, they seemed to be better but again a couple weeks later 2 sneezing a lot and the Buff rattling so we dosed individually and in the water again, 10 days later my buff died, the barred and light Sussex are sneezing a lot, I don't feel like they smell unless they poop the pudding poop stuff, they are eating, growing, playing and bathing, my oldest are 8 months old and no eggs yet, I don't know what my next step should be? Any advice?

I would get them tested for coryza and MG, or sacrifice one to the state vet for a necropsy to find out what respiratory disease they have, and are carriers for. Or you can cull them all, clean your coop, and get some healthy chicks from a hatchery in a few months. Sorry that this person sold you sick chickens. Respiratory diseases mostly are chronic and make carriers of your flock.

That's what I was afraid of but I don't want to give up yet because I have 2 that have been immune to sickness it seems but I doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom