Treating what appears to be worms - what is best?

SJchickens

Songster
Mar 13, 2015
Long Island, NY
Been dealing with a mysterious problem in my flock for a while now. Treated with antibiotics, chickens responded but it came back. TwoCrows suggested it may be Coccidiosis but they don't appear to be responding to Corid.

I've come to the conclusion that it's worms. When I treat them with Ivermectin, they seem to improve, though apparently Ivermectin isn't as effective anymore? They get sick again. What should I use instead? Looking at Safeguard (https://www.amazon.com/Intervet-Saf...S&linkCode=xm2&redirect=true&tag=thechichi-20) right now.

Should I get that? What is the dosage?

Thanks.

I prefer Valbazen. Dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeat in 10 days to get most chicken worms. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine Paste dosage to get the hard to treat worms, such as capillary (threadworms) or gapeworm is 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given orally for 5 days straight.

I prefer Valbazen. Dosage is 1/2 ml orally, and repeat in 10 days to get most chicken worms. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine Paste dosage to get the hard to treat worms, such as capillary (threadworms) or gapeworm is 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given orally for 5 days straight.

I'm guessing it's threadworms simply because they've been so hard to get rid of and I'm not seeing any in droppings. Valbazen won't treat those? Do I need to get both Valbazen and Safeguard/Equine Paste?

Also, is the dosage the same for bantams?

Thanks

SafeGuard will do well to treat the threadworms if you give enough for 5 straight days. Threadworms or capillary worms can be serious, so I would weigh her to give the right dose, treat your other birds. They should be on a regular worming schedule,and you may want to get a fecal float dine to confirm what they are, and that the treatment worked. Valbazen is supposed to treat all worms, but with tapeworm, you have to use it more often or use praziquantel.

SafeGuard will do well to treat the threadworms if you give enough for 5 straight days. Threadworms or capillary worms can be serious, so I would weigh her to give the right dose, treat your other birds. They should be on a regular worming schedule,and you may want to get a fecal float dine to confirm what they are, and that the treatment worked. Valbazen is supposed to treat all worms, but with tapeworm, you have to use it more often or use praziquantel.

Okay, so I guess SafeGuard is my best bet. I'll also try to get a fecal float. Thanks :)

EDIT: when you say orally you mean give it right to them in the mouth without diluting it, right? I've never done that before. Would you use a spoon or a syringe?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom