Treating with corrid

gabz44

Chirping
Dec 26, 2015
One of my chicks I believe has cocci and treating with corrid for 5 days. Still seeing a little blood - any advice ?? Also is it safe to eat eggs from chickens treated with corrid ???

Yes, since Corid (mprollium) is not an antibiotic, it is safe to eat the eats while using it. You can treat for a total of seven days with Corid. Some also recommend with cecal coccidiosis, using it at a reduced strength (1/4 of the dose) for another 1-2 weeks afterward. Any local vet should be able to check a few droppings in a baggie, to see if there is still coccidia present in the stool. If the chick is alert, active, and eating normally, that should be a sign of improvement.

Thank you @Eggcessive I separated the two chicks that had bloody stool for the past week and now notice one of my chickens in my coop has bloody pop so treating the whole flock with corrid. Is there a reason to separate all of them now or at this point ok for all of them to be in the coop? Only issue is I have 4 days left of corrid for flock and chicks will be drinking that water so will be taking corrid for a few more days...

No reason to separate them IMO - treat the entire flock with Corid for the full duration. It's supposedly hard to overdose on it so a couple of extra days won't hurt the birds that were already being treated. When I was treating for cocci I did 2 tsp per gallon for 5 days then 1/2 tsp per gallon for 7 days after, using liquid Corid 9.6% amprolium, and that was the sole water source for the whole flock.

I usually recommend treating all chickens at the same time with Corid. That way, you won't be treating one, and then later another, and so on. Keep the bedding dry, and as clean as possible. Getting them on clean grass and keeping droppings picked up as much as possible can help. Coccida is in the soil and all chickens' droppings, and they will eventually build up a natural resistance to it.

Back
Top Bottom