Treating with Ivermectin

Straw should never be used for hens. A straw is a tube. Mites love to hide in them. You can dust / spray / clean all you like. As long as you put in straw you won't clear mites. Some Diatoms and some nice clean hay will soon help your problem mites.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/204708.htm
this source says the lice feed on the blood

Hmm the literature IS confusing.
Ivermectin will treat lice.

Noticed just now that this hen had eye lice, so decided to take to pictures and video before treating with ivermectin.

And two videos:

She is a 2015 peahen that weighs 3.2 kg and was given 0.15 ml of 1.87% ivermectin paste, which works out to ~0.9 mg/kg. All live were gone in 24 hours. Have done the same with chickens, and all lice are dead in 24-72 hours.

-Kathy

@Juise @ChickensAreSweet

Last edited:
I found an interesting lady at sweeth2o.us. Sweetwater Farms out of CA. She has been working with chickens for over 25 years. Very valuable info on lots of subjects. Especially Ivermectin.

Just like to ask how you got on with Ivermectin, I've used it once, last year when some of my hens had scaley leg mite. It's not always that easy to evaluate how effective the medication was because I was also cleaning their legs with warm soapy water, spraying with surgical spirit and coating the legs with vaseline, so was it the Ivermectin or the the intense leg washing etc that cleared the infection?

Recently, looking to buy some more Ivermectin I noticed that this product isn't recommended for chickens, any views on that?

Just like to ask how you got on with Ivermectin, I've used it once, last year when some of my hens had scaley leg mite. It's not always that easy to evaluate how effective the medication was because I was also cleaning their legs with warm soapy water, spraying with surgical spirit and coating the legs with vaseline, so was it the Ivermectin or the the intense leg washing etc that cleared the infection?

Recently, looking to buy some more Ivermectin I noticed that this product isn't recommended for chickens, any views on that?
Some studies say that it's not an effective wormer, so I won't use it for that, but I will use it to treat lice.

-Kathy

Keeping in mind that ivermectin is a product mainly used to treat cattle and is off label for chickens, I hope you know that ivermectin's primary purpose is a wormer, it's secondary benefit is that it kills mites, but not chicken lice. Chicken lice do not suck blood. Cattle lice which are a different type of lice suck blood from cattle. If you're dealing with external parasites, you'll still have to treat the inside of their coops, nests and roosts...preferably using sevin dust and redusting in 7-10 days to kill nits hatched from eggs.
The dosings you have for your birds are good. Put the drops of ivermectin on the back of their necks, make sure it goes on bare skin so it can be absorbed into the bloodstream. It will quickly be absorbed. I dont recommend giving the eggs back to the chickens. This will increase the withdrawal time, additionally the wormer residue in the eggs will help build worm resistance against the product. Ivermectin will not kill cecal worms nor tapeworms, and large roundworms have been showing resistance to the product due to its overuse as a miteacide in chickens.
will this kill feather mites this one dude told me .9 ml per pound of bird is this accurate?

will this kill feather mites this one dude told me .9 ml per pound of bird is this accurate?
Which ivermectin?

The 1% (10 mg/ml) injectable dose given orally is 0.045 ml per pound
The 0.5% (5 mg/ml) pour on dose given topically is 0.09 ml per pound

0.9 ml per pound is way too much!

Back
Top Bottom