Treatment for Coccidiosis?

Phoenix, if your chicks are already dying from cocci, i suspect it i too late to try to medicate naturally - just being honest. They need Corid or something similar in my opinion.

Bheila, it is rare for full grown hens to have cocci unless they have been exposed to a new strain because of a location change. Is that the case with you? The other symptoms (other than bloody poop) of cocci are pretty common with any sort of disease or discomfort, as far as lethargy, lack of appetite, being fluffed up in the corner. I would also be checking for impacted crop or egg laying issues.

Also, coccidiosis is not a disease like other diseases. I mention this because you said you can't afford for it to spread. All chickens who are on the ground most likely have cocci in their systems. Coccidiosis happens when the protozoa overwhelm the chicken. After a chicken survives a bout of coccidiosis, the chicken is then highly resistant to that particular strain of cocci and will probably not have another problem....unless it for some reason encounters large amounts of a different strain, as in when moved to a new location.

All your chickens should be encountering the same protozoa in your soil. If your sick hen has been on your same soil for her whole life, i very strongly doubt that cocci is her problem.

Back
Top Bottom