Treats every day?

My chickens are still young-ish (3-5 months).

I watched a lot of YouTube videos and started a custom mix of whole wheat berries, groats, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, dried worms, split peas, millet, Wild birdseed mix, garlic powder, oregano, bee pollen, dried hops & barley (after beer was made), and crushed oyster shells.

Have to admit, when I open the galvanized garbage can to scoop some out each day, it smells delicious!!!!!!!

I also feed “treats” as they are in a large pen and not free range - cut grass with seed heads, watermelon, cantaloupe, kale, carrot peels, lettuce “piñatas”, tomatoes, bananas, cheese, fresh peppers from the garden (jalapeno, habanero), various weeds, hibiscus branches covered in white fly (this is their most FAVORITE treat - they go crazy and it looks like they’re pecking at popping corn)!!

I don’t know if my joy in feeding real food to our birds will result in better eggs or healthier birds, but I feel good about what they eat. It looks and smells like real food, not the sawdust that the different feeds look like.

They also are definitely not fat, their feathers glisten and their eyes sparkle.

Who knows what is in those feed mixes?

Growing mealworms is nice as you know where they came from (as opposed to purchased ones) and they boost protein.

Most “treats”, while perfects healthy, tend to be on the lower protein side. Having a high protein snack to offset this is a good way to find balance.

When my compost pile is in peak form, my flock get lots of worms and bugs to supplement other food. Right now the pile is too dry...may need to water it tomorrow as rain has been hard to come by.

Back
Top Bottom