Treats to grow inside the run?

Any tips or ideas on what herbs I can grow inside the run? I've got a corner that gets an okay amount of sunlight, and with my climate it never quite gets cold.
There's already a few trees in the run, but I figured it'd be nice to grow something with soft leaves for the girls to peck at :)

I've got a few Rosemary plants, decently sized (45-60cm), going in pots and a few Mints and Thymes that are doing okay but are still relatively small. I can also start something else and plant it there once it's sized.
Any thoughts or suggestions on this?
I have 5 hens and i grow wheat grass in a little corner of the run by spreading the sprouted seeds on the ground, cover very lightly with dirt, water well, and place some hardware cloth over it so they can peck peck peck but not get the roots. The hardware cloth has a frame of wood on all 4 sides to prevent injury. The goal I guess becomes being able to protect the roots & such. I water the grass daily. I eventually remove the hardware cloth and let them scratch away. I will try this technique with Oregano. The run material is so fertile.
Any tips or ideas on what herbs I can grow inside the run? I've got a corner that gets an okay amount of sunlight, and with my climate it never quite gets cold.
There's already a few trees in the run, but I figured it'd be nice to grow something with soft leaves for the girls to peck at :)

I've got a few Rosemary plants, decently sized (45-60cm), going in pots and a few Mints and Thymes that are doing okay but are still relatively small. I can also start something else and plant it there once it's sized.
Any thoughts or suggestions on this?

The chickens will probably kill anything you try to grow in there, unless it is big and sturdy like a tree.

But if you grow something and then move it in, they will happily eat it as long as it lasts (until they kill it.) Or you can start something inside the run, but protect it with wire mesh until it get established, then let them eat it. Planting it just outside the run can sometimes work too, so the chickens eat the parts that reach in through the fence but cannot kill the whole plant.

Things like grass, lettuce, or cabbage might be good, or vining things like peas or beans, or anything else with leaves that are edible to a chicken.
Im laughing because I have experienced this and I can see it happening yup yup yup

Back
Top Bottom