Treats?

OFWGKTA

Chirping
Dec 27, 2023
I Just wanted to know if there are any kinds of treats i can give my babies, just for fun and for them to experince new foods :) i googled and all it said was bananas but they dont like it, youngest is around 2-3 weeks and oldest is almost 4 weeks
20240211_200559.jpg

I Just wanted to know if there are any kinds of treats i can give my babies, just for fun and for them to experince new foods :)

You can get some of their normal feed wet. Chicks (and adult chickens) often like that.

It exposes them to a new texture, and the idea of you giving them treats, but you don't have to worry about what nutrients it has and whether they will get full on it and skimp on their normal food (because it is the same stuff!)

Other than that, tiny amounts of anything that is safe for adult chickens.

What about fresh oregano? I've got three almost three weeks old BC Marans, and three EE.s that are two weeks old. If I throw maybe a dozen oregano leaves (each leaf maybe the size of the top of my pinky, and I've got narrow fingers) around in my brooder, would that be safe for them?
The Marans, especially, are starting to get bored.. Their names are Skipper, Kowalski and Rico, because two seem Quite smart (they've realized they can climb/flutter up the sides of the pack n play they're in!), and Rico... Not so much. 🤭
Looking for something that'll keep them stimulated and preoccupied from further escape attempts. 😎

What about fresh oregano? I've got three almost three weeks old BC Marans, and three EE.s that are two weeks old. If I throw maybe a dozen oregano leaves (each leaf maybe the size of the top of my pinky, and I've got narrow fingers) around in my brooder, would that be safe for them?
Probably not dangerous.

You could do the same thing with leaves of grass, dandelion, clover, and various other chicken-safe plants. For things with big or long leaves, either cut them into short pieces scissors so they cannot tangle in the chicks' crops, or give the chicks a whole plant with roots & dirt so they can pick off leaves for themselves. A clump of sod is often a good choice.

Do remember that they need grit if they are eating things other than chick starter. If you give them a clump of sod (with dirt) they may get enough grit from that. If you give them just leaves, be sure they have grit available as well, to grind up the leaves once they reach the gizzard.

Also keep in mind that chicks should eat mostly chick starter, and little or no other stuff. A bit of scratching and experimenting is good for them, but don't overdo the amount of treats you give them.

The Marans, especially, are starting to get bored.. Their names are Skipper, Kowalski and Rico, because two seem Quite smart (they've realized they can climb/flutter up the sides of the pack n play they're in!), and Rico... Not so much. 🤭
Looking for something that'll keep them stimulated and preoccupied from further escape attempts. 😎
It is not going to work.

A few leaves, no matter what kind, will not make the chicks stop trying to fly up and sit on things.

You can give them some things to perch on (or you may have already done that), but it will still not stop them from trying to fly up and sit on the top of their pen. And once they are on the top edge, of course they escape pretty easily.

It is just something chicks do. The only real solution is a cover on their pen.

Back
Top Bottom