Tricide Neo for Bumblefoot- Still recommended?

Thankfully, this was fairly minor, and the surgery we did before Tricide Neo healed over with another bumblefoot scab.... It does take a lot of time, yes, but I'm pleased with the results that I got. I hope my chickens can do well at fair without any more treatment!

Argh! I still have to get 'before/after' pics!

Well, I suppose I should come back and answer with more updates!

Shanaynay and Courtney are free of the black scabs on the bottom of their feet, but I noticed that Shanaynay's feet are a little swelled and warmer to the touch. She had bumblefooot longer than Courtney, so perhaps the infection was deeper than the Tricide-Neo could reach with the soaking.
But, I have discovered a tiny scab on one of my Brahma pullets!
barnie.gif
I haven't tried surgery or soaking yet- but I will keep an eye on the scab, and if it gets larger or more swelled, then I'll try soaking first.

I have also been trying preventative measures. The bedding in the coop is a thick layer of straw- I'm talking at least 3-4 inches across entire coop floor. I haven't really lowered the roosts, because my chickens roost on a crate, so I'm not sure how the lower that. But if I ever install 'proper' roosts, I'll make sure they are low enough not to hurt chicken feet when they land with a 'thump' that makes me cringe!

Just an observation:

Yesterday I was in the chicken pen checking water and I felt a sharp pain in my foot. I was wearing crocs, so I looked at the sole and saw something stuck through the sole into the shoe. When I pulled it out it was a piece of very hard straw. I never thought of straw causing problems, and I have several bales in the run for entertainment and shelter when the girls are out of the coop, but I may need to rethink that. Most anything can be a danger if it is at the wrong angle.

Hmm, that it a good observation! I've been pricked with sharp straw as well, so I bet my chickens get pricked as well. It could be that the straw can open a wound in the foot, and allow the staph infection to settle in my chicken's feet, causing more bumblefoot! NOO!

I wonder- is the infection carried in straw? Do people who use straw as bedding- or other materials, find an increased infection in their flock?

I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I was just looking for information about using Triocide neo for Bumble foot when I found this thread and I just wanted to chime in on bedding.

Oddly enough, -and I have no idea if this means anything- I didn't have any cases of bumble foot when I used straw, but only when I switched to pine chips. Granted, I did not have very much of a layer of pine chips when I believe their bumble foot must have started, but none-the-less, I just wanted to say the problems started when I switched. Maybe pine chips are too 'pokey'? Perhaps its just dirty roosts or something to that effect. I had no problems with bumble foot with straw.

Anyway, thanks for this post. I was about to order some Tricide Neo for my roo- He's had this bumble foot for so long now. I tried surgery on it months ago, but I must not have got it all out. Nothing seems to be working. I've had his foot wrapped up for a while now but it looks the same.

I'll probably just take him into the vet.

I don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but I was just looking for information about using Triocide neo for Bumble foot when I found this thread and I just wanted to chime in on bedding.

Oddly enough, -and I have no idea if this means anything- I didn't have any cases of bumble foot when I used straw, but only when I switched to pine chips. Granted, I did not have very much of a layer of pine chips when I believe their bumble foot must have started, but none-the-less, I just wanted to say the problems started when I switched. Maybe pine chips are too 'pokey'? Perhaps its just dirty roosts or something to that effect. I had no problems with bumble foot with straw.

Anyway, thanks for this post. I was about to order some Tricide Neo for my roo- He's had this bumble foot for so long now. I tried surgery on it months ago, but I must not have got it all out. Nothing seems to be working. I've had his foot wrapped up for a while now but it looks the same.

I'll probably just take him into the vet.
Any updates on your roo's bumble foot? did you take him to the vet ?
I have treated bumble foot with tricide neo on my hens and it has worked so far, however I have the impression that you have to catch it in the early stages for it to work.

Hi aldarita,

Unfortunately, he still has it, although it is a little bit better.

I didn't get the Tricide Neo- I don't remember if it was something that I read or just didn't want to try it.

I wrapped his foot up instead- something my vet told me to do with my other hens who had it which actually worked. (That is, I wrap it after giving it a soak in some meds.) And so I did that for about two weeks until we started to get soaking constant rain. I let my flock free range even on rainy days- and, don't ask me why- but they don't seem to mind and rather venture outside than stay in the dry coop. I didn't want wet bandages to be on his foot constantly as that could be really bad for the skin and get infected, so I took it off.

We've still been having a lot of rain,(its actually raining as I type this!) and so I haven't put any bandages back on him. The swelling in the pad of his foot did go down considerably, but I think I'm going to have to take him in to my vet for some foot surgery- maybe. Its not as bad as it was but I'm worried that it could get bad if I don't get some medical treatment for him soon. He's had this now for about half a year. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of it for him.
sad.png

This bumble foot "business" is not fun at all, I lost my favorite hen to it. She had surgery at the vet's and was taking antibiotics, I had to wrap her foot every day but with the vet's advise we decided to let her run in the yard without the wrap since it looked it was almost completely healed. Unfortunately the infection came back, she went back to antibiotics and that hurt her liver and things got complicated, so I had to make the very hard decision to have her euthanized (I still mourn her). This was my very first case of bumble foot and a very dramatic one to say the least. Now I inspect my flock every month and catch the bumble foot in the early stages. I have had 2 others plus the one I am treating right now with tricide neo (out of 17 birds). My first 2 cases didn't need a lot of soaking to be cured, the third one is on her 4th week and the scab looks darker but does not have any redness nor inflammation so I am going to continue to treat her no matter how long it takes because the alternative (surgery and antibiotics) is not something I want to do unless I really have to. I watch my patient very close and so far it doesn't look like it is getting worse. One thing I learned, it doesn't take very long for the scab to form and the infection to develop, I might have to inspect them more often now. I hope this experience helps you. I know it is hard to keep them with a bandage when it is raining so much, you are right it is not good to keep the bandage wet. i wish you the best luck for your roo. Keep us posted.

Thanks aldarita.

Sorry you lost your hen to this- that's tragic and heartbreaking!

So far, with my roo, it doesn't look like its getting worse, so hopefully, that will give me time.

Back
Top Bottom