Tropical storm coming need advice

My2petducks

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 22, 2015
Spring Hill, FL
We live in the ft myers area and are making preparations for the possible storm hitting. Do I need to do anything to make sure my ducks stay safe? This is our first storm with them. This is the pen they stay in at night.

Do you have a storm shelter? When we had a ripping storm come through, I made a small duck storm shelter. And it worked so well I expanded it and now that is their night pen.

With the wind whipping around, and rain pouring down, I would want my duck where they would not get hammered by wind, rain, and the stuff that will be flying around.

How many do you have? You may be able to just get them into a bathroom or laundry room, even a puppy playpen with a sheet of 6 mil plastic underneath some shavings or towels. Remember, it's just for the duration of the storm.

Do you have a storm shelter? When we had a ripping storm come through, I made a small duck storm shelter. And it worked so well I expanded it and now that is their night pen.

With the wind whipping around, and rain pouring down, I would want my duck where they would not get hammered by wind, rain, and the stuff that will be flying around.

How many do you have? You may be able to just get them into a bathroom or laundry room, even a puppy playpen with a sheet of 6 mil plastic underneath some shavings or towels. Remember, it's just for the duration of the storm.
We only have 2 so if it gets bad enough we'll bring them inside. Our house is tile flooring so it it'll be easy clean up! They've changed the cone and it's a little west of us so maybe we'll get lucky and won't get any bad weather! Thanks!

We strap down the duck and chicken house.
If it gets too bad, the ducks/chicken would come in to one of the bathrooms. Chicken would come in and hang in a pet carrier.

I have seen folks with bee hives use the giant metal corkscrews used for tying dogs out in the hard, and strapping across the tops of the hives.

That would help with wind, but I think this particular storm is expected to mostly dump water. Someone told me that the Island of Dominica got 12 inches of rain from the storm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom