trouble with the neighbor but not the typical kind of trouble

cary 1973

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Henderson Nevada aka Las Vegas
I live next door to an elderly couple who loves my chickens they feed them multiple times a day basically breakfast lunch and dinner snacks and desserts my chickens eat better than I do most days as of the other day they had lobster and this lobster was not left over lobsters they had their own freaking lobster the elderly lady also loves to bake and that's what concerns me is my chickens get a lot of bread products and pies cakes pastries I feed my girls their regular food ration and they get meal worms and I turn up the dirt so they can dig for their own worms they're free range obviously but I do worry about obesity now that the girls are starting their fourth year of life. I don't know if I'm asking for advice or just want to get this off my chest I know I sure could have a lot worse as I've heard stories of neighbors hating chickens very rarely over loving chickens I don't want to hurt their feelings and I don't know how to put it I sure don't want to make them mad I'll probably just let things be. I don't know what are your thoughts on this

Last edited:
You don't have to hurt their feelings - you can tell them you love that they share with your girls, but some things, like pastries, and especially any desserts with chocolate, can shorten their life and are actually toxic to them in the case of chocolate. If they love your girls too I'm sure they don't want to be feeding them anything that can hurt them and they'll understand :)

You could be doing alot worse for neighbors for sure. Count your blessings and just ask them to keep the sweets to a minimum and I'm sure they'll see it your way.

I agree, you would do well to have a chat with your loving neighbors. Unless your girls eat up all the treats they dispense, this could also be luring predators to your yard. I envision rats and Rocky Raccoon, for starters. Perhaps you could supply your neighbors with some grit, some scratch, and ask them not to give bread or sweets?

I live in the middle of a metropolitan area in the desert Las Vegas Nevada and my dogs eat along with the chickens so there's nothing ever left we also have sparrows that join in on the feast 2. I have talked to her about the chocolate because of the dogs but as I said she's an elderly lady and her husband's even older and has real bad dementia so either I don't know have to have her story feeding them all together or I don't know thats my problem I just don't know. I guess just count my lucky stars that they're friendly and loving

If I may tell a story here: our neighbors love our dog buddy. When we first purchased our home Buddy was tied up when we could not keep an eye on him as we didn't want to upset our new neighbors. After many visits with our neighbors and them convincing us that it was ok for Buddy to come over to visit them we laxed on tying him up. At first it was great he'd go over say hi, get a treat and return home. Eventually the visits got more frequent and longer and as you know once a dog know's he's going to get fed that's where he's going to be. Buddy is a shepherd/lab mix 130 pounds. More than once we were out looking for him as he did not come when called as you can imagine we were frantically searching for him and this is when we found out he was being let into their house. Buddy is a smart, loyal, and excellent mannered dog. One day we seen them allowing buddy to get up on the picnic table to get a treat and to us this was unacceptable because at our house we can set a Steak on the end table and he would never touch it. So it was time for an intervention, the first of many we asked them to limit treats and to send him home after a bit so we didn't worry, and to not let him into their home. Our neighbors are also elderly and one is partially immobile and we were careful not to hurt their feelings as we did like that they loved our dog but they were killing him with food, their form of love. We grounded buddy many times, reinforced the no leaving the yard, chained him up when we weren't devoting 100 percent of our time to him and the neighbors knew he was not allowed over there as they were not following our rules. Things got better but it took 2 years and about 15 pounds which he has lost since the bad feeding habits. We just lost our neighbor "Bob" Dec 22 and it was very devastating to me but it has been horrible for Buddy he still goes over everyday to see Bob, but Bob doesn't meet him at the door anymore, there's no treats or ear rubs, there's no more sitting next to Bob on the picnic table and providing his loyalty, protection and love. Our dog brought us closer to our neighbors and I doubt we would have been such good friends if it wasn't for buddy.My peace is that these last two years Bob has had someone who visited him everyday and showed true affection for him ( the treats didn't hurt). His wife still works and buddy is let out 2 specific times a day she she eaves for work and wen she comes home, she has a treat in her pocket for each meeting and I like to think he's sending her off with a smile and now more than ever she at least has someone waiting for her when she comes home at night. My advice reinforce your rules they will eventually get it, might take 2 months or 2 years but it will come.

Thank you for sharing that story CF. I also have a pet who loves to visit the neighbor. My cat loves the next door neighbor. He goes over and visits often, and when I get home and he's not in the yard, chances are that he's across the street with the neighbor. He will throw himself at this neighbor's feet and rub his face all over his boots. He loves to go in the neighbor's house and sit on the windowsill to watch the neighbor's birds. My chickens also love to go visit this neighbor. Thankfully, this neighbor enjoys the visits from my pets. This gentleman lives alone, so my pets provide him with company without any of the expense and head ache that goes along with pet ownership.

My next door neighbor loves my chickens and yes, she's also elderly. She wants some of her own, but her husband isn't on board. We live on a private road far in the country, sharing a long driveway, so my free ranging chickens are known to go in her yard and it delights her.

I noticed my chickens bombing off for her place more and more often. I asked her about this, since I didn't want them to be a problem. Turns out she bought a bag of flaxseed and has been hand feeding them when they come to visit. My girls now know to head over at least once a day for a treat. Her husband appreciates the visits, since she gets her fix and then the birds go away.

We had to have a talk, though, since the chickens were wandering off too much. She owns two dogs and there was a close call when she took them for a walk and my chickens spotted her and chased her down the driveway, looking for a treat. We've had to block the chickens from the driveway and set up specific visiting times to keep everyone safe while still giving her the chicken fix she needs. I'd recommend talking to the neighbors. I love sharing my chickens, but we do have to consider their health and safety.

Back
Top Bottom