Trout Indian Runners

Well, she does have some Silver Appleyard wing characteristics. Looking at the picture of Silver Appleyard wings in Ashton, they show that Silver Appleyards have, above the blue of the speculum, first a band of white then a band of black. No other breed shown in Ashton shares this characteristic. In the picture below, you can see that her wing does in fact show first a good band of white above the speculum and then black.

On the other hand, she is a Holderread rare runner duckling, and I've never heard that he was trying to breed Appleyard runners. On the contrary, in his book he states that they do not exist - that no runner has the Restricted allele - and therefore that none of them are true Appleyards. In fact, she was born with trout colors, not Restricted duckling colors.

It is possible, though unlikely, that she has M+/MR. Although most references I have found say Restricted is always dominant, Ashton shows pictures of M+/MR ducklings that are dark in color, and it states that in their experience Restricted is not always strictly dominant. I would like to line breed her, if I can. That might shed some light on her genetic heritage!

I am so curious...
caf.gif
Did you get her in the box of holderread ducklings? He has "appleyard runners". I have he boys.

Just for the record....

Dave calls faulted trouts Appleyard runners. These runners have a modifier gene that originated in Germany, then came to the UK and then to North America. Just because a duckling does not show the typical Appleyard mohawk does not mean that it is not carrying the restricted mallard gene. In your case, much as you know, your duckling does not carry the restricted mallard gene. She can exhibit traits of a silver appleyard and could possibly even look more like an appleyard than restricted mallard appleyards.

Dave doesn't have any runners anymore. Majority of them live here, happily.

ApricotValleyWF: Thank you very much for your update. I really appreciate the information.

Here is my update:

Cinnamon (the "faulted trout" in the foreground below) mated with Filbert (dusky, single blue, double light) gave me Apple (behind her).

Apple has some head stripes and some white on his neck in his adult plumage. He has a green bill and orange feet. Apple had one brother with similar markings. None of his markings are quite as "good" as hers, but he shows some of most of them. He has a bit of extra white on some of his wing feathers, he has some white on his neck even in adult plumage, etc. In the presence of "light" she did pass on her markings to a good degree, in spite of the fact the father was a dusky.

Cinnamon mated with Crocus (fawn and white male, hence dusky, double runner, double blue, not light) gave three ducklings that barely have head stripes, and do have white on the neck front (which may disappear in the adult plumage). They have white wing tips, and do not seem to show the four "mallard" spots on the back. They all look remarkably alike with identical markings. The ducklings presumably have Mallard/Dusky, single Blue, single Light, brown - (girls).

It's early to tell, ,but I'm guessing that they did not inherit Cinnamon's head stripes, and we'll have to see the neck color when their feathers come in. As you predicted, ApricotValleyWF, at this point it seems that the light gene is necessary to pass on her faulted trout characteristics. But... we'll have to see when they grow up. I will post more pics then.

There was a fourth duckling - a total surprise!!! Cinnamon obviously does have a recessive gene, just not the one I expected. White!

The duckling looks mostly yellow when dry (first picture). Yet on her back she definitely shows some brown in her duckling fuzz, particularly visible when she is wet (second picture). The brown markings are not symmetrical. She does have three tiny black feathers randomly placed on her back also. However, in his book, Dave Holderread says that some white ducklings do show color in their baby feathers, and at this point I'm guessing this is what is happening.

Note: The mating of Cinnamon with Crocus was not really planned. Cinnamon lives with Crocus, but after a few days waiting I placed her with Filbert, and those were the eggs I collected. I wanted a girl to match Apple. I am breeding with the blue dusky because my blue trout male is infertile, and the blue dusky is the closest match to breed more faulted trouts. But I guess Filbert was beginning to molt and Crocus' contribution must have been particularly potent! Given this white duckling, I'm sort of glad it happened. This duckling is from an egg seven days after Cinnamon was no longer with Crocus. The smallest of the other ducklings is from day 8 and is the same pattern as the ducklings from days 3 and 4 - clearly NOT Filbert's, as they would not have white wing tips if they were Filbert's offspring. For this reason I believe the white duckling's dad is probably also Crocus.

ApricotValleyWF, just want to say I've been looking at your website and you've got some beautiful ducks! Including some runner girls that look almost just like my Cinnamon.
love.gif

Hi There,

I also exclusively have Holderread Runners! I have two silver and one white duck. My drake is Silver/Self-Blue. I also have his son who is white and stunning.I would love to buy some eggs if you are willing to sell. Your ducks are absolutely gorgeous!

Hi There,

I also exclusively have Holderread Runners! I have two silver and one white duck. My drake is Silver/Self-Blue. I also have his son who is white and stunning.I would love to buy some eggs if you are willing to sell. Your ducks are absolutely gorgeous!

@allduckedup would you post pics of your silver and silver/self blue I'd love to see them.

Here they are Miss Lydia. I apologize in advance if I haven't done this correctly. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom