Trying to add new young rooster into Fathers flock

MoffatChicken

Songster
9 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Hi, I have an 5.5 yr old rooster and I'm thinking of replacing him because he is getting weak and loses his balance often. Today he fell off the ramp onto his side on the ground below. Also this spring of the 28 eggs that I put into an incubator 8 were fertilized. I have added one of his offspring, a cockerel (one of the 8) to the flock, as an audition, he is now 17 weeks old but he is now chasing the older rooster and pulling on his tail feathers, it seems agressive. I was hopping that I would have a longer auction time but is this unfortunately normal behavior? and I will have to decide one way or the other? He is good with the hens, the odd peck to keep in line, should I disregard the rooster vs rooster attack during this audition time? Poor older rooster, given his health I don't think I can keep him anther year, and if the rooster vs rooster fights get worst then I can't keep them both through the summer :(

I agree, normal behavior. The boy's hormones are telling him to dominate and the old boy's not up to the task anymore. That could explain the fertility rate.

If you can, you might try isolating the old boy from the flock for a while to see how junior does. But he's still pretty young and has some maturing to do even if he can take over. It may take him a while to get all the eggs fertile but he should manage that pretty soon.

Thanks for the comments I was afraid this was only going to get worst.... and it sounds like I shouldn't hold this behavior against him. Unfortunately I don't have space to separate them full time so for now I'm letting the old guy and his hens roam the property and the young one with his hens are in the pen. However, I am concerned that the only answer is to euthanize the old guy, I don't think he is going to do well through another cold winter coop'ed up in the coop

I'm so sorry, but the chicken social order can be tough, and confinement makes things harder. having them out and available to every predator isn't so nice either, BTW. At least a safe coop at night should be out there for them.
Mary

I'm so sorry, but the chicken social order can be tough, and confinement makes things harder. having them out and available to every predator isn't so nice either, BTW. At least a safe coop at night should be out there for them.
Mary
My chickens have always free ranged for some amount of time during the day just now the older ones are getting a bit more. They always have a coop to go into at night.... Im going to try and get the older ones using the smaller (movable) coop that I call the cottage :)

Back
Top Bottom