Trying to be a good neighbor

I also live in the middle of town. And the houses here are much closer than it looks like yours are. Definitely look into the rules for how far from the property line you can build etc. They do have those rules here but they don't enforce them and less there is an issue :)
I asked my neighbors before I got the chickens and they were fine with it. They like watching the chickens and I get an update every day from my one neighbor when I get home from work. I started with three, now I have 12. They free roam in the yard all day most days. Most of the noise is when they are laying eggs or waiting to lay eggs, it seems like they all want the same nest box :) if you put the coop in the back corner of the yard then that will work out good as far as noise goes. You are about as far away from the other houses as you can get. And the vegetation helps decrease the noise also.
Don't bother chopping down the weeds, the chickens will do it for you. They will decimate grass very quickly.

I looked into our local zoning ordinance for animals, and all it says are 1. No Hogs, and 2. Any animal that escapes my property, ex Dogs, Cats, Chickens etc...are subject to a fine. The Weeds are waist high in some areas....chickens will destroy them that high?

Last edited:
yeah be prepared for your nice green lawn and weeds to be under a surprisingly fierce attack.... I had the unrealistic dream that under managed free range I could keep my borders intact.... like I said unrealistic... chickens will peck, eat and scratch everything in your yard. I now keep mine in the large run with plenty of entertainment play toys and will usually only let out to free range for a few hours on the weekends or during the summers longer daylight a few hours in late afternoon.

Last edited:
yeah be prepared for your nice green lawn and weeds to be under a surprisingly fierce attack.... I had the unrealistic dream that under managed free range I could keep my borders intact.... like I said unrealistic... chickens will peck, eat and scratch everything in your yard. I now keep mine in the large run with plenty of entertainment play toys and will usually only let out to free range for a few hours on the weekends or during the summers longer daylight a few hours in late afternoon.
Play toys?!?!?! What kinda Play Toys?

Looks like this had great potential. Some thoughts.....

What is the design of the coop? I dont know yet exactly, i dont have much building experience, so i want to keep it simple, but my wife wants it to look "pretty" i want to do a Large window on the South Western Side of the Coop (facing the run) with Chicken wire. I want it to be a walk in coop with the main door facing the house, and I want to try and re-use the current Steel Roof on the shed now, it gets cold in the winter, so i've been researching coops for a few weeks was thinking a standard square coop, with the front facing the house higher and the back lower, but put the roof up on little 2x4 posts a few inches so it can vent? maybe dig a small trench behind it and put a little french draing that takes the water toward the neighbors fence and out into my yard proper?? thoughts?. Be thinking ventilation and lots of it and windows for natural light. Is this coop south of your house? Coop is South East ish, so in the picture the top right corner of the Coop outline will face south, was going to do the South Western facing wall with a large open windown with chicken wife over it If so, be sure to have some windows on the south side facing the winter sun.

What is the drainage pattern? What happens to rain water at the coop and run locations? Running into or running away from? away from coop away from run toward the house Having a concrete floor is a big plus for something like this.....keeps digging predators out and makes for a dryer, cleaner, more sanitary coop inside, even with deep litter (which is my preference).

Do you have either water or electric back there? I can run a hose from the back of the house, no electric, other than long extension cord for power tools that i can run from the back of the house

On the run, how will it be fenced? Chickens attract predators, even where you are. They are there, even if you never see them. I dont have a 100% plan for this yet. was thinking posts and chicken wire....i really dont want to put a "roof" over it

On vegetation for the run, once large weeds and plants are established, the birds probably won't take down 5' tall weeds, but if they are turned in early, the weeds may never get that high, although if there is enough vegetation, they can be selective, so a few might get past them. If so, they will probably be used for shade. Or you can divide this up and plan on providing shade, depending on how much work you want. A section of that run planted to tall crops like corn, sunflowers, okra, etc, will give the birds shady places to run around under, but only once they are established, so you have to protect those kinds of plants for a month or so until they get established. Plants of that type are also heavy feeders of the nitrogen and other that the birds will leave behind. Later in the summer, you reload with things like fall turnips. So in addition to being a run, it can also be a salad bar for the birds. Again, lots of potential, depending on how intensive you want to manage it. I was thinking of doing corn and sunflowers for both shade and "free" chicken food. never thought of Fall Turnips! i like the idea.

Thank you for taking an interest, i really want to succeed and do well at this, so please reply with ideas and thoughts

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1135151/100-urban-predator-proof-chicken-run

lots of good designs on here so I definitely recommend browsing through coops, this is my build, other than the added concrete slab its perfect for urban chicken keeping. I used corrugated metal roofing ($13 for a 12' x2.3' sheet) and added a few clear plastic panels for added light ($30for 12'x2.3' sheets). And of course as you are building ask a billion and one questions because you are going to get at least 5 different opinions for every one question and then you can chose your own path.

no really a round up fan, but to each their own... I just feel like if you chicken consume it, it may not harm them but its still inside of them and then you are eating eggs that more than likely has a form of the same chemical in it.
but you know what... you do you and i'll respect it
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Leave the chicken wire at the store, and get hardware cloth instead, and some 2"x4" woven wire fencing too. Covered runs are great, both for weather, and to keep out predators. Mary
I have 2 purposes, one to screen in the window in the coop, and then to actually fence in the run....what do you suggest i use for each? (sorry if this is a dumb question...i appreciate the help)

Quote: I'm not Mary/Folly, but I don't think she'll mind if I answer....
.....Not a dumb question(none really are).
IMO coop should have all openings(except pop door of course) covered in securely attached 1/2" hardware cloth for night security.
Run mesh.....depends on your budget and needs.
My run is just 2x4 welded wire fencing, walls, roof, aprons......
.....recently added 1/2" HC on bottom 2' of walls to keep small chicks in and to hold back deeper litter.
BUT I am home 90% of the time, and have few predators to worry about except hawks.

Back
Top Bottom