Trying to be a good neighbor

KenStorm989

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
So i'm designing my coop for the spring. I plan to start with 3-5 Egg Layers. I have an Old metal shed, that i'm tearing down on a 12x12 concrete slab right under a tree in the back corner of my yard (the red square outline). i plan to build the Coop there and use the area next to it as a run. The area for the run will be about 24x36ish..(the grey outline).i dont have the exact length measured yet. I dont know anyone near me that has backyard chickens, you guys are pretty much it. I dont live "out on the farm" i'm more suburban, as you can see my local borough allows chickens... how much will me having Chickens effect my neighbors negatively? I really like my neighbors, I know alot depends on how clean i keep it, but, i'm looking at you guys here as experts, what do you think? is it a good place to do this? i'm just looking for imput...

thanks in advance

EDIT***** I measured the area - Coop 10'x8' - Run 21' x32'

Ken

Last edited:
I looked into our local zoning ordinance for animals, and all it says are 1. No Hogs, and 2. Any animal that escapes my property, ex Dogs, Cats, Chickens etc...are subject to a fine.  The Weeds are waist high in some areas....chickens will destroy them that high?

If not just spray them with glyphosate(round up). It won't harm you or the chickens, and works by preventing the synthesis of a protein that doesn't exist in animal cells which causes the death of the plant. It works systemically so less is more and misting vegetation is more effective than drenching. I know the organic crowd will fight tooth and nail on this, but I'm an agriculture major and between plant, soil, and environmental science- I'd drink round up if it would change opinions.

Last edited:
Play toys?!?!?! What kinda Play Toys?

haha, now lets not go down that rabbit hole!!!

Pumpkins, deep bedding with scratch toss around, dust bath, swing perches. suet basket with vegies, soda bottle with a few holes in it with scratch inside. Cabbage on a string, sometimes I hide treats in places. anything that keeps them hunting and pecking.

Living in PA you might want a solid roof on your run for snow exclusion.
Keep in mind winter access to tend to birds.
Also keeping liquid water available at all times, this takes power, either electric or people power swapping out waterers several times a day.

Having a large walk in coop separated into 3 sections(main pen, new birds pen, and feed/supply storage)is excellent any climate.

Any building codes that might affect your plans?
The more time you spend planning and researching, the happier you'll be with what you build long term.

So i'm designing my coop for the spring. I plan to start with 3-5 Egg Layers. I have an Old metal shed, that i'm tearing down on a 12x12 concrete slab right under a tree in the back corner of my yard (the red square outline). i plan to build the Coop there and use the area next to it as a run. The area for the run will be about 24x36ish..(the grey outline).i dont have the exact length measured yet. I dont know anyone near me that has backyard chickens, you guys are pretty much it. I dont live "out on the farm" i'm more suburban, as you can see my local borough allows chickens... how much will me having Chickens effect my neighbors negatively? I really like my neighbors, I know alot depends on how clean i keep it, but, i'm looking at you guys here as experts, what do you think? is it a good place to do this? i'm just looking for imput...

thanks in advance

Ken
depending on breed depends on noise (sort of) and deep litter will be the best method to keep the smell down. I live in an urban neighborhood too and my neighbors are fine with it. no stink and barely much noise unless my lead hen gets a hitch in her step.

Some hens can make a real big fuss when they've laid (i.e. noise), so having as many as you eventually plan to could cheese the neighbours off after a while. Starting with a few is a good idea and maybe get a mixture of breeds to help you in choosing the most appropriate breeds when you wish to add to the flock.

I looked into our local zoning ordinance for animals, and all it says are 1. No Hogs, and 2. Any animal that escapes my property, ex Dogs, Cats, Chickens etc...are subject to a fine. The Weeds are waist high in some areas....chickens will destroy them that high?

Depends on the species and the time of year - my flock will munch on plants during the dry season that they would not usually bother with at other times of year. Not sure that they would demolish weeds that high, but it would provide great cover if you leave little "islands" of the weeds for them to bolt into, should a predator be around.

With regard to your question about them killing the weeds, I have found that chickens will basically eat anything green. And if they don't, they'll scratch it up looking for the bugs underneath it. They do such a good job eating green things that in not too long they will take the whole area down to the dirt. Keep adding material over time to keep the smell and mess down. If you garden you can harvest the bedding from the run and coop once or twice a year. Pile it up and let it compost down to some awesome gardening material! Chicken manure compost can be another tool to pacify grumpy neighbors (if they're into that sort of thing).

Back
Top Bottom