trying to find ideal large predator resistant breed...

nabalf

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Hello all

I am relatively new to keeping chickens and I love mine. They have a very large covered run but I have every kind of predator imaginable and I don't want them to get eaten soooo inside they stay.

I currently have 6 sexlinks, a shamo roo and a shamo hen, a sf cochin, a brahma and two silkies. my question is this: I have a four acre fenced yard in which my dogs exercise every day. The ticks are absolutely out of control all three of my dogs have one or more tick borne illnesses as of yesterday. I would really like to put a separate coop inside my dog yard with a new flock of very large predator resistant birds that are capable of fending for themselves so they can gobble ticks all day. My shamos are tough, the other chickens not so much.

I have a lot of hawks, a few eagles (which I have only seen a handful of times), foxes, coyotes, bobcats, racoons etc etc. My four acres is fenced with 6' game fence which has small holes on the bottom and bigger on the top, so i think my main issue would be flying predators, I have about an acre cleared and 3 of woods. Is there any kind of chicken that would have a chance without the purchase of an LGD or am I fooling myself? I am not really interested in guineas as I heard they are way dumber than chickens and way way noisier. Perhaps an emu chicken hybrid? JK

lol on the Emu chicken hybrid. I am not sure about a predator resistant chicken as all chickens have the possibility of being ate but have you thought about putting a duck or goose in with your chickens? They are loud and alert when any kind of predator comes near. Have you seen how one of your dogs is with the chickens? Maybe a dog on a lead by the chickens will scare away any maybe predators.

If you're looking for a bird that will make sound when something is wrong you need some guinea fowls. I've heard that some people use them as an alarm for their house because they scream as soon as something is not in their normal routine.

I'm with you about guineas; the noise is unbelievable! You've got your only rooster, so active hens that free range effectively are your best bet, along with lots of hiding places from hawks, and Ft. Knox at night. Also consider your climate when picking breeds, and egg production , or meat qualities. Mary

I'm with you about guineas; the noise is unbelievable! You've got your only rooster, so active hens that free range effectively are your best bet, along with lots of hiding places from hawks, and Ft. Knox at night. Also consider your climate when picking breeds, and egg production , or meat qualities. Mary

Back
Top Bottom