Trying to Hatch Eggs from Deceased Hen...

I looked at a couple of threads about hatching older eggs and most were successful. What are your thoughts on this?
After I lost my drake on 5/20, I grabbed every egg I could and bought an incubator. Eggs were from 5/7 to 5/20.
I did do slightly better than 50%, but due to some unexpected circumstances, I have 14 survivors, and five eggs that never pipped. 29 eggs were started, and one was not fertile.

I have never "waxed" an egg so I'm not sure, but I think @junior67 has
I have but without success. Many have done it and chicks made it to hatch. Mine always quit and I am not sure why. Some use nail polish to seal it as well. But you just light a candle to melt the wax and put it on the crack either by dripping and smoothing with your finger or just use your finger for it all, or that is what I have done.

Thank y'all! I checked the eggs last night and saw in all eggs, embryos with veins and everything!!! I could see their eyes as well and some slight movement. I'm worried about the one egg with the crack. It's still thin but got a bit bigger and I'm afraid Debbie is going to notice and crack it. How would you do the waxing thing? Or is there any other way to do this? I don't want anything to happen to that baby! Thanks! :celebrate:ya💚
I recommend using nail polish. Wax is a little hard to do. At least it is to me..

How would you use Nail Polish? I'm wondering if I should leave it alone? It's the most developed one out of the 4 and it isn't showing any problems. Or should I seal it just to be safe?
I'm not really an expert on it, but I just paint over it with one layer and do it quickly.

I think you should seal it, she could make the crack bigger by sitting on it and bacteria could get inside the egg.

I'll add a photo in a sec, just have to find it first.

Edit: I couldn't find a photo online or on my phone. Does anyone have a photo of their own they could share?

Horrible news, I went out this evening to lock up the chickens and found the egg with the cracks missing. Saw some eggshell on the side of the nest and found a bit of blood and the 7 day old embryo dead, inside the folded eggshell. I'm heartbroken as I already named it Fighter and saw it but a couple of hours ago moving and alive inside of embryo. I suspect broody or other hen saw the cracks and cracked it open. Poor baby. 2 eggs have embryos and 1 may or may not be developing. Today is day seven.:hit

Thanks y'all! Last time I tried hatching eggs, I couldn't tell if there was any development. I can't tell the difference between the yolk inside the egg and an 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 embryo. When can I start seeing development? I set them yesterday evening and it has been Day 1 today. I saw a large darker spot in 4 of the eggs and nothing in one. One of the eggs that seemed to have something in it has a really small thin crack. Should I throw it out or is the darker spot development? Or is it just the yolk? Thanks!
It's important to remember that not all eggs will successfully hatch. Some eggs might not be fertilized, while others might experience early-stage mortality. During the incubation process, you may notice some eggs not showing signs of development or even discoloration. It's best to give them some time and observe changes during the incubation period.

Hello Y'all! My family's beautiful hen, Restaurant passed away last night and I collected 5 eggs from 2-7 days ago that were in room temperature in my pantry. I set them under my broody hen, Debbie and I am hoping they will hatch. I looked at a couple of threads about hatching older eggs and most were successful. What are your thoughts on this? Also, am I supposed to do anything to help Debbie hatch them? I'm hoping this will work, I will keep updated. :fl💚
Hi,

I am very sorry about your chicken, I know the feeling. You can save eggs for as long as two weeks but the hatching rate will be lower. I say give it a try and hopefully you get chicks that look just like her. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom