TSC and Country Max minimums... back to the drawing board...

We originally ordered chicks from Meyer, but canceled when we thought we wouldn't be ready for them in time. Well, I figured I would be able to get some between Country Max and TSC..... I didn't realize there's a NY state imposed 6 bird minimum for every purchase! Back to the drawing board.... I'll probably order again even though it kills me to pay shipping. I don't think there are any 4-H meetups or livestock auctions near me.... and no postings on CL...

I ALMOST had chickens yesterday!

Where do you live? There are threads here on BYC for each state. I am sure someone can get you started with some chicks.

Cathie

We have the 6 chick minimum here in NC at TSC, as well. I was able to get away with just getting 5 chicks because that's all they had left in the breed I wanted. I actually only wanted 3-4, but then chicken math kicked in and now I think 5 is a good number for us, just in case one dies or turns out to be a rooster.

Have you tried calling your local 4H or Ag. Extension Office? They might know of some local folks who can sell you the number of chicks you want.

A 6 chick minimum is not bad. In our area it's 12. This is to discourage impulse purchases. After chicks are 4 weeks old a person can purchase 1. Cute little fluffy butts are impulse buying magnets. I believe this is the mentality behind those laws. Protects those that can't think for themselves and the overall health of livestock (neglect).

You are correct.

Quote: I really needed that laugh today. It's day three of the expected 23-egg hatch, and so far all I've got is one dead half-hatched chick and one successfully hatched fuzzy butt bemoaning her prisoner status in the bator. It's been a very emotional four days. Thx!

the reason that TSC an others have the 6 chick min is to weedout the people that just want to get their lil 1 a chick or duck for easter.because most wont know how to take care of them.an once the new wears off they no longer want them.

Would they let me pay for 6 and just "forget" a couple in the brooder?
roll.png

We foster dogs for a local rescue so I completely get the "screen out the impulse buyers" thing... you should see our adoption application and process! But I think it should be a little less complicated to get just 3 or 4!

Would they let me pay for 6 and just "forget" a couple in the brooder?
roll.png

We foster dogs for a local rescue so I completely get the "screen out the impulse buyers" thing... you should see our adoption application and process! But I think it should be a little less complicated to get just 3 or 4!

Probably not, here is my story. I went to Palestine TSC and they didn't have enough of what I wanted, so I called Athens TSC and they told me they would save what they had for me. Off I go! Got those and decided to go to Tyler to see what Atwoods had, Ended up with 30 chicks between those 2 stores. I stopped at TSC in Tyler to see if they had EEs and only saw a Rhode Island Red chick that I wanted. Only one. I told them I had 30 chicks in the truck I could show them and they still refused to sell one chick.

My suggestion would be buy the six and choose the best you need and sell the extra chicks on CraigsList. They sell fast here. Good Luck. Oh and a big Texas welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Last edited:
The minimum of six is to discourage impulse purchases. At my TSC they know me by name and the woman in charge told me I could get as few as two even though the policy is 6.

I was in TSC the other day and all they had were ducks. The minimum on those is two. A lady was buying dog food with her teenage girls and they whined until she said she would buy them two. The teenage sales person and I started hitting her hard with the realities of duck raising. He even filled a cart with everything she would need to brood them, totaled it up, and she backed down! She had no poultry experience (not that I did either when I started, but I had educated myself), no brooder, and lived in town where it may or may not be legal to have ducks. I was so busy with her I forgot to buy my own ducks. Came back an hour later and they were sold out
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom