TSC Blue Chick Breed?

SpringPeeper

Songster
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Northern California

Tractor Supply Company had this for sale as a Dominique. It was the only blue chick they had. I knew it wasn't a Dominique but bought it mainly out of curiosity. I asked the clerk (who from past conversations I know keeps some chickens and has some knowledge) and she said the only blue birds she had seen offered were Wyandottes (no rose comb on him), Silkies (large fowl, regular feathers for him) and Langshan (no leg feathering on him). He is a bit larger than his Dominique friends and is even bolder and more curious than they are, which is saying something.

The clerk did check and said the only Orpingtons listed were buff, the only Jersey Giants listed were black.

Tractor Supply Company had this for sale as a Dominique. It was the only blue chick they had. I knew it wasn't a Dominique but bought it mainly out of curiosity. I asked the clerk (who from past conversations I know keeps some chickens and has some knowledge) and she said the only blue birds she had seen offered were Wyandottes (no rose comb on him), Silkies (large fowl, regular feathers for him) and Langshan (no leg feathering on him). He is a bit larger than his Dominique friends and is even bolder and more curious than they are, which is saying something.

The clerk did check and said the only Orpingtons listed were buff, the only Jersey Giants listed were black.

I do not know what it is but with TS---I would not buy from there if I was wanting a certain breed---because most never know what they got.

I definitely go to other sources when breed is important, but I was curious about the chick and the doms are just pets, not for breeding or anything. I have Dominiques from a few hatcheries and no matter what the type is they all seem to have the Dominique tenacity and curiosity I like. Otherwise I mainly buy from hobbyists working to improve their breeds.

Last edited:
I have BBS Australorps in the incubator now. I would be surprised to find those at TSC but I suppose it is possible.

Yes, it could be possible. Someone could have come across a Blue Australorp and bred it with a regular hatchery type Black Australorp. My next door neighbor has 6 Blue Australorps like that. The mothers were black Australorp hens from Privet Hatchery. The father was my the Splash Australorp rooster shown in my avatar here.

I have BBS Australorps in the incubator now. I would be surprised to find those at TSC but I suppose it is possible.

True , I was surprised when I saw barnevelders at my tractor supply , I bought 21 , 2 past away so I have 19 left . They were sexed to be pullets and right now they all look like pullets I'm very happy with my local tractor supply they always have the chicks bins labeled with breed and info., gender and price . :)

Yes, it could be possible. Someone could have come across a Blue Australorp and bred it with a regular hatchery type Black Australorp. My next door neighbor has 6 Blue Australorps like that. The mothers were black Australorp hens from Privet Hatchery. The father was my the Splash Australorp rooster shown in my avatar here.
I don't believe my TSC stocks chicks from private breeders, though. Only from the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom