TSC Breeds

Which if you have preferences odds are you have researched the breeds and probably can identify a BR chick from a Leghorn chick correct? 
Yeah, but not all chicks are that easy to tell apart, take a gamefowl chick and an EE, both chicks can have that "chipmunk" look to them.

You can actually order specific breeds from TSC. If you go to a store back by the chick department they have a brochure that lists all the breeds that they can get for you and you can place a special order to receive those breeds particularly.

Last edited:
Yeah, but not all chicks are that easy to tell apart, take a gamefowl chick and an EE, both chicks can have that "chipmunk" look to them.

Which brings me back to unreal expectations. Up in arms that an employee cannot differentiate between the two but neither can someone who has spent weeks reading about them online. If someone is that adamant about getting specific breeds maybe shopping in a mixed bin at a feed store wasn't ideal for them anyways. At that point a breeder should be their first stop.

Which brings me back to unreal expectations. Up in arms that an employee cannot differentiate between the two but neither can someone who has spent weeks reading about them online. If someone is that adamant about getting specific breeds maybe shopping in a mixed bin at a feed store wasn't ideal for them anyways. At that point a breeder should be their first stop.
I absolutely agree, wasn't trying to fight with you, actually I am getting some grey gamefowl from a breeder soon, can't take the chance of not getting some at TSC. And anyway, when it comes to certain breeds, a breeder would be better than a feed store. Not to mention a breeder typically has better quality.

Last edited:
No argument here just my point of view on the subject. Every day there is a new thread blaming the local feed store for not knowing the breeds in the tanks.

No one is blaming the employee, i actually feel bad for them. The supplier really dropped the ball and if they are new like the employee said this doesn't reflect well on them being a supplier next year. I also do think TSC dropped the ball here too because this is one of their biggest events of the year and if you are bringing on new suppliers you need to be on top of everything. Of course not everything goes as planned, I just needed to vent a little bit.

You can actually order specific breeds from TSC. If you go to a store back by the chick department they have a brochure that lists all the breeds that they can get for you and you can place a special order to receive those breeds particularly.
This I did not know, thanks I wanted to order from mychicken or ideal, but the shipping was crazy and couldn't justify it.

The not listing the breed is an agreement between TSC and the hatcheries. To prevent misinformation from employees who may not be as knowledgeable about chicken breeds. They are shipped as mixed batches and sold as mixed batches unless otherwise specified.

well does anyone know of a good chick identifying picture or chart that i could bring in with me to try and figure out what kinds they are myself?

I bought six chicks from TSC last spring, which was the minimum required for laying hens...turns out four were roosters. Going to try the mail order system this time. Good luck.

I bought six chicks from TSC last spring, which was the minimum required for laying hens...turns out four were roosters. Going to try the mail order system this time. Good luck.
Did you know TSC has a return policy for roosters? Bring in your receipt showing you purchased Pullets and you will be reimbursed 100% for all of the roosters. Sexing chickens at a hatchery is 98% accurate which leaves a margin of error. "To err is human, to forgive divine."

Back
Top Bottom