TSC Coop/run modification/design thoughts?

So far mine is holding up well. I added a door on the other side and fenced off a corner of the yard so they can have a little room to roam during the day when I'm home & can keep an ear out for them.

Very nice. I might have missed it, but did you reinforce the original hardware cloth installed on the coop?

I did on my chicken tractor. The hardware cloth is plenty strong for the job, but it can be ripped off the frame by a determined attacker. I thought the staples used might not be adequate, so I added more staples and some screws/washers. You can see the detail by clicking on the image below.

AutoDoor_170522.jpg

Last edited:
I did on my chicken tractor. The hardware cloth is plenty strong for the job, but it can be ripped off the frame by a determined attacker. I thought the staples used might not be adequate, so I added more staples and some screws/washers. You can see the detail by clicking on the image below.

View attachment 1163824

Nice. Love the door with timer too. I noticed the vents above the door. Did you add those? Or did I miss them on my coop? Lol.
I’m in Indiana too, so a little worried about winter (ventilation and drafts).
Does your coop have a slight gap where the nest box door is? I’m just wondering if my gap is too big. I started a new thread, but guess I could have asked here.

After I asked, I reread the thread. :) Did you have any problems with the screws cracking the wood?

Nice. Love the door with timer too. I noticed the vents above the door. Did you add those? Or did I miss them on my coop? Lol.
I’m in Indiana too, so a little worried about winter (ventilation and drafts).
Does your coop have a slight gap where the nest box door is? I’m just wondering if my gap is too big. I started a new thread, but guess I could have asked here.

I'm in Indy. I added those vents- three 2" screened vents on the pop-door side and three above the nest box door. I've read that ventilation is very important and wanted to make sure there was enough even with the side door and pop-door closed.

While ventilation is very important, cold is far less of an issue. Just keep them dry and well ventilated and they should be fine, even at sub-zero temps. For that reason, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a gap unless it lets water in.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the info. I am hoping to get at least 1 yr out of this coop while I figure out how to build one. I have sealed my coop with a product like Thompson’s water seal, but a different brand that we had on hand. I will be adding mods (like locks and vents), plus reinforcing the hardware cloth and adding an apron. I get my 4 girls this weekend. Eek! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom