TSC mix up chicks update with photos.

Just Darren

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017

This is Mono this was suppost to be an Australorp but I do not think so as I searched the internet for pics of chicks and I know thing this is a black cooper maran but not for sure.

This one also was supposed to be a Australorp as well it looks a little like out barred rocks but it is darker and black head and butt. Might be a type of maran my guess because we bought it with Mono. That is a barred rock next to it see the differance.

This is the other one we call Wendy and it is got some barred rock like makings around the head and neck and shoulder but the rest is black. We bought all three as day old chicks they where maked Australorps but as they mature it seems to me they where mislabeled. I am not up set they are wonderful birds infact Mono is the freindlest of all my flock. My Theory is that they are a mixed Maran like TSC sells mix Bantams and mix Silkies prehaps they got a batch of mix Marans and some how got switch and there is some one out there ****** because they got Australorps instead but can some one help me prehaps identife these chickens.

I love my chickens regardless just want to know what kind they are.

If they were all in the same bin, and they are all the same age, you did not get any Australorps and they are most certainly NOT Marans. You got black sexlinks. The barred ones are male. The black with gold is female.

I don't think all of the barred are male. The one in the 4th pic on the right sure but the rest could very well be pullets
Only pullets if they are over 4 months of age and about ready to lay. On a previous thread, the age is approximately 8 weeks old now. That means the barred birds with red combs are most certainly male black sexlinks.

So they sre Black sex-links. I have pretty much confirmed this by simple google image search. So that brings my total number sexing of my flock to 3 roos and 5 hens. of the hens 3 Rhode Island reds, 1 barred rock and one black sexy-link. and of the 3 roos my wife wants me to dispatch them. me I want to keep one roos because we have rat snakes in my area but my wife doest want any roos but she is a city girl I dont know yet those crow callors seem a bit cruel to me and I dont want to eat fertile eggs, But when I was a child my father keeps hens and roos and we never had a proplem with fertile eggs.

Fertile eggs are no different than infertile eggs. An egg must be kept at 100º, for at least 3 days, for it to begin to develop into a chick. No incubation, no babies. With such a small flock, a rooster is not a great idea. Most need about 10 hens for one rooster to avoid over breeding and wear on the hens. The hens will happily peck apart any snakes that they come across. Mine catch garter snakes.

Back
Top Bottom