TSC Sells Ships Chicks?!? Hoover's Hatchery (dropships)

So...I am a Team Lead for TSC in the Tennessee Area. I have 31 chickens currently, only 5 are from TSC. The rest i ordered from Meyer Hatchery. TSC as a company strives to ensure proper care for chicks that arrive into the store. Water and food are to be freshened and cleaned minimum of twice a day. The expectation is tanks are given fresh liter daily, either fresh layer or emptied and filled with fresh pine shavings. Unfortunately, just like any business, you could have a store or just a lazy employee who takes short cuts and doesn't care for them the way they should. My store, if seen, this is addressed quickly. As far as knowledgeable team members, only a handful are truly experienced in poultry, the rest have basic care knowledge, or that 18 year old who has no knowledge nor cares to learn.
I personally have not been overly impressed with Hoover Hatchery but they may pay more attention to individual sells versus retail sells. I know the sexing isn't great due to customer feedback. I also see misidentified chicks come in, or random chick thrown in with a different breed. Another team member and I enjoy playing the game of identify the breed game. Had an Austalorp with Road Island Reds, Golden Comet with Bared Rock, and many other examples. As far as health, delayed shipping times seems to be the biggest issue, example, 4 days versus 3 days. Those of us who know chickens love getting to work with them during chick days and we try to help everyone with their questions. But I also know sometimes the staff working that shift may be your cattle, equine, or welding experts instead of poultry! Hope this helps!

I read a great article here on this site and a video showing how to sex checks and also pullets and Cockrell. I am sorry but I cannot remember who it was except that she was female! LOL! I then tested my knowledge on some “pullets that my neighbor purchased at TSC. They were eight weeks old and she bought six of them. 33% of them were Cockrells.

I didn't know you could have chicks shipped through TSC, but never really needed to have any shipped before. Also never heard of Hoover.

Ok, am I just late to the game?

Did everyone but me know that Tractor Supply sells / ships chicks?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/live-birds?cm_sp=LP-_-Chick+Days-_-Live+Birds

I've never even heard of this hatchery.

Anybody have experience with TSC or Hoover's Hatchery?

I have bought from TSC several times, and about 3 months ago ordered from Hoovers for direct shipment to me. I ordered a straight run of 10 French Black Coockoo Marans, got 8 cockrals and 2 hens.

I have 62 chickens in my flock. 30 buff orpingtons shipped to my post office from Hoover’s Hatchery and only one died the first day but it was a runt. TSC replaced it for free and I got another 32 assorted chicks from the local TSC. I couldn’t be happier, they are all very healthy, beautiful and have started to lay.

B4EEEA2B-737F-4F7C-807A-ED99F5924676.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom