Tube Feeding Cross Beaked

CarolB865

Chirping
May 10, 2016
Knoxville, TN
So, I've gone off the deep end. I've got a cross beaked pullet, Cleo who is severely cross beaked as you can see from the picture. She's smaller and much thinner than her flock mates and spends a good part of her day at the feeder making a mess and not getting much. She is most definitely part of the flock, chases off the chicks from treats, hold her own with the rest of the flock. I just don't have the heart to cull her.

I've taken to tube feeding her a concoction of chick feed, greek yogurt, raw egg and water all well blended. Read up on how to tube feed and have got that down pat. My question is...how often should she be fed and how much (syringe holds 2 oz)? I realize this is a big commitment but I want to give her the best chance possible.

I usually start out with 2-3 ml per 100 grams, that seems to be a very safe amount, but as you get more comfortable, you can usually increase to 5 ml per 100 grams.

You can tube as little as twice a day. Be sure to let her crop empty overnight or she could get a crop infection from the undigested food sitting in there too long.

Weigh daily in the mornings before tubing. If not gaining, or is losing, increase volume and/or frequency.

Does she drink on her own?

-Kathy

So I am feeding her too much to start out which is what I was afraid I was being overly enthusiastic with her. I'll back off and make sure that she's emptied out her crop before feeding again. She does drink on her own as I have both horizontal nipples on a bucket and vertical nipples on several different bottles. I've seen her often go to the bottles and she does appear to be drinking.

Last edited:
So I am feeding her too much to start out which is what I was afraid I was being overly enthusiastic with her. I'll back off and make sure that she's emptied out her crop before feeding again. She does drink on her own as I have both horizontal nipples on a bucket and vertical nipples on several different bottles. I've seen her often go to the bottles and she does appear to be drinking.
If what you've been giving her doesn't seem like too much, then keep doing it! The crop of a younger bird has more elasticity than an adult. Some of my 1000 gram hens have no problems taking at least 60 ml.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom