Tula, Emporda, Normandy and other unusual breeds

The other ones are trio of Africans and trio of white commercial embden x toulouse. Unfortunately some fruitcake through a barrel of old car oil into the brook, same day as my geese decided to go for a swim...
Obviously i phoned environmental agency!

The other ones are trio of Africans and trio of white commercial embden x toulouse. Unfortunately some fruitcake through a barrel of old car oil into the brook, same day as my geese decided to go for a swim...
Obviously i phoned environmental agency!
Is everyone okay? how awful people do stuff like that.

This is a good thread, but some of the old links don't work anymore...

I have to wonder how many of these Asiatic breeds that look like Africans/Chinese are different breeds and how many are just Africans/Chinese with a local name in the language of those areas.

This is a good thread, but some of the old links don't work anymore...

I have to wonder how many of these Asiatic breeds that look like Africans/Chinese are different breeds and how many are just Africans/Chinese with a local name in the language of those areas.

A lot of them are just slightly differet (weight, height or colour). Just like geese defended from greylag. Many breeds are very similar to each other but they are not the same.

A lot of them are just slightly differet (weight, height or colour). Just like geese defended from greylag. Many breeds are very similar to each other but they are not the same.

I see. I wonder if there are differences in temperament as well.

This thread really is great, otherwise I wouldn't have known about many of these breeds.

Those of you who own these breeds should make breed reviews.

(Also, does anyone know about rare duck breeds? After I read this thread I wanted to see what unusual duck breeds there were, and I found a big list of breeds, but only some of them had a description. Others had descriptions but not in English so I couldn't read it.)

I see. I wonder if there are differences in temperament as well.

This thread really is great, otherwise I wouldn't have known about many of these breeds.

Those of you who own these breeds should make breed reviews.

(Also, does anyone know about rare duck breeds? After I read this thread I wanted to see what unusual duck breeds there were, and I found a big list of breeds, but only some of them had a description. Others had descriptions but not in English so I couldn't read it.)

I read somewhere that in China they have more than 20 breeds all coming from the Swan goose!
As for ducks - we should really promote breeding of the hook bill duck. It's a very old European (most likely dutch) breed.
They might be only 200-300 of them left in USA and UK. I don't understand why? They look unusual, are fairly small on size and therefore cheaper to feed then Aylesbury or Pekin, and they lay about 200 eggs a year.
In the past they used to keep them in duck coops and let them free range on the canals and rivers during day time. They can fly, but we're selected to have the hooked bill and white bib to distinguish them from the wild mallards so the hunters don't shoot them.
Why don't we have them? I saw them on the rare breed auction this spring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom