TULSA area Cluckers

A thorny issue to be sure but we haven't so far and had no problem when they were chicks. My only debate is introducing a couple layer replacement chicks when also getting a batch of broilers. Most of the locals with pretty layers don't have broilers in any quantity

True. Country Hatchery down in Wewoka, OK sells broilers, and shipping was very reasonable (I thought). Or you could make the drive and pick them up. Might check them out. They have a website.

True. Country Hatchery down in Wewoka, OK sells broilers, and shipping was very reasonable (I thought). Or you could make the drive and pick them up. Might check them out. They have a website.
Yes, $15 in state was quite good, or it sounds like a nice fieldtrip with the kids. Definitely more educational than anything the government schools have going on. It's about 1 1/2 hr drive. http://www.countryhatchery.net/chickens.html in case someone here doesn't know what we're talking about.
We were never able to tell which of our Delewares were hens last year, and they took sooo long to mature and graduate.
he.gif
I do wish Country had someone that spent a little time updating their site with availability.

With limited space in our Ordinance Compliant flock, replacement really is better in the fall anyway so they start laying as soon as spring sunshine rolls around... but we might just pick up a Maran, Buff, Rock, or Wyandotte from Lee's as available & do the island voting with they get to laying age.

sigh... Chicken Math
D.gif

Spring IS IN the air!!
wee.gif

We had a newer neighbor come over today to look at our coop. Her daughter was in the bathroom with our kids giving the hens a spa day (mites). Apparently she went to a class at Grogg's in Southish Tulsa about caring for chickens. Apparently an organic gardening center I hadn't known about. Unfortunately she said the class focused more on caring for the chickens, than practical aspects or raising them like how to feed them, building a coop, or what exact city ordinances were. We had a good chat about sustainable gardening & livestock, and she's going to ask her landlord about keeping 2-3 hen in one of those coop over run units for eggs. I loaned her some material & directed her to this board ( of course!)
Of particular import, she says this store is supposed to have hens on sale for $15 shortly!

http://groggsgreenbarn.com/classes/
D.gif

Last edited:
Spring IS IN the air!!
wee.gif

We had a newer neighbor come over today to look at our coop. Her daughter was in the bathroom with our kids giving the hens a spa day (mites). Apparently she went to a class at Grogg's in Southish Tulsa about caring for chickens. Apparently an organic gardening center I hadn't known about. Unfortunately she said the class focused more on caring for the chickens, than practical aspects or raising them like how to feed them, building a coop, or what exact city ordinances were. We had a good chat about sustainable gardening & livestock, and she's going to ask her landlord about keeping 2-3 hen in one of those coop over run units for eggs. I loaned her some material & directed her to this board ( of course!)
Of particular import, she says this store is supposed to have hens on sale for $15 shortly!

http://groggsgreenbarn.com/classes/
D.gif

Groggs Green Barn is a neat little place. They have aquaponics and greenhouse setups inside you can look at. And also for sale, but way too rich for our blood! But it gave us some good ideas!

Has anybody else had trouble with chicks from Atwoods in Sapulpa or Coweta??

I've had chicks from different sources like Lee's and mail orders that thrived, but almost every single chick from Atwoods has become sick and infected the rest and then passed. I'm doing a experiment with a tub of chicks from Lee's and a smaller tub of only Atwood's chicks. So far 2 of my poor bantams have passed, but I still wanted to know if anyone else had trouble with the Atwoods chicks? and where do they get their chicks?

I'm not sure, you can call and ask. I'm guessing Ideal. I haven't bought chicks so I can't help you on pinning it down, except to suggest treating each batch you buy with a round of Corid, since coccidia is the most likely culprit. And it may have been transferred to the chicks there by a kid or customer, and not have come from the hatchery.

That would be a 45 min drive one way. No cost savings, just trading postage for gas and time.
Anyone want to share a Tulsa order?

Back
Top Bottom