Tumors on 13 Week Old Pullet?

I too have had a bad chicken year. I'm responding because I got 3 Cuckoo Marans and all of them were sick. The final bird is still alive in my basement but lost the use of her legs below the hock.
I got the birds from another BYCer who had to many. They had not been in with her flock and I quarantined them. Originally from Rural King but I'm not sure which hatchery they use.
I did open one up and found tumors. Not like you see in pictures of Mareks. I also sent away for a blood test for Mareks ans sampled a few flock members. All came back negative.

http://www.vetdna.com/test-type/avian-bird

This is where I sent my samples. Very friendly and answered all sorts of questions for me.

I personally recommend the blood test. If the bird dies I would get both necropsy and blood work. There are several viruses that look the same but are not.

:hugs I know how you feel. :hugs

Thank you for the link, I will definitely check that out. It makes me feel better knowing it’s not just me having odd issues this year, but I also feel bad for everyone else :(
Hopefully the new year brings more luck and well being for all of us and our flocks.

Bringing this thread back for an update.

The hen with the tumors passed away a few weeks ago, looked like she had just gone to asleep so I assume it was peaceful and that whatever was going on was just too much for her.

The white chicken in the sling is still hanging around (unintentional pun) but is showing more signs of neurological problems. she now lays with her head backwards if she’s not actively eating/drinking and has very poor coordination when it comes to pecking at things, next time I see my vet I will have her euthanized because there is nothing I can do for her.

I now have two more chickens showing the same signs as the white chicken, first they were kind of hobbling around, toes are curled under on one foot, and now they can hardly walk. They are different breeds and different ages, and have not had contact with the white chicken or the black chicken that passed because they were/are inside still.

I am becoming very frustrated and wish I knew what was causing this. Hopefully I can send one of them for testing to find out.

Sorry for your loss, and having more showing symptoms. I would contact your state poultry vet and ask questions about necropsies and Mareks testing. Most of the time they can tell if it is probable Mareks, but the test for confirmation is a little extra. Be sure to point out that she is a backyard chicken, since the price may be much less just for the necropsy. Here is a link for state vets:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Still sounds a lot like Mareks
Thing with that is, direct contact with the infected bird is not the only form of transmission.

There are several tumor causing viruses out there. Not to mention straight up cancer.
If you send a bird for necropsy I recommend blood tests as well.
My state makes getting anything done through the AG lab rather expensive as vet referral and involvement is required.
I used this lab for testing and was very happy. They were friendly and helpful even answering my million and one questions.

There are several tumor causing viruses out there. Not to mention straight up cancer.
If you send a bird for necropsy I recommend blood tests as well.
My state makes getting anything done through the AG lab rather expensive as vet referral and involvement is required.
I used this lab for testing and was very happy. They were friendly and helpful even answering my million and one questions.
I am in Ohio as well, and just talked to a pathologist at the Ohio state vet lab last week. I was shocked when she said they only charge $23 for a necropsy on a backyard chicken. They will let me bring or ship a bird directly to the lab. But, they have to send the reports to a licensed vet near your home. Additional tests, such as mycoplasma, are a few dollars here or there if you request them. I asked about Mareks testing, and that is extra since they send specimens off to another state lab for that. She said they usually can tell before that the bird has probable Mareks. So, anyway, I would recommend getting in touch with one’s lab personally, and asking questions.

I am in Ohio as well, and just talked to a pathologist at the Ohio state vet lab last week. I was shocked when she said they only charge $23 for a necropsy on a backyard chicken. They will let me bring or ship a bird directly to the lab. But, they have to send the reports to a licensed vet near your home. Additional tests, such as mycoplasma, are a few dollars here or there if you request them. I asked about Mareks testing, and that is extra since they send specimens off to another state lab for that. She said they usually can tell before that the bird has probable Mareks. So, anyway, I would recommend getting in touch with one’s lab personally, and asking questions.
Weird. When I called they said I could only send in a bird for necropsy through a vet. A vet here said minimum $200 to send in a bird. That’s just their charge. Once the lab gets the bird they will send the vet a bill that I will then have to pay.

Back
Top Bottom