Turkey breed question

After seeing (on my house pet post/gender post) how young my pet turkey is (i know you guessed tom fairly early) would you conisder him late or on time? I have younger ones i can tell are toms (gobbling and what not) but i think i wouldve been able to tell somewhat earlier if i would known for sure what signs to look for. He also didnt try to gobble till a few days ago (gobbles a lot now) but untill recently he raised without other turkeys around. Now that there are others its like hes hitting his im a tom stride. Would he be a safe breeder do you think or should i just let him live the pet life and keep one of the other toms to breed? Thank you for all your help
Since I don't know how old it is, I cannot guess whether it is a normal or a late bloomer. To determine whether a tom will be a good representative as a breeder has to wait until the tom is fully developed so that conformation, temperament, etc. can be determined.

Since I don't know how old it is, I cannot guess whether it is a normal or a late bloomer. To determine whether a tom will be a good representative as a breeder has to wait until the tom is fully developed so that conformation, temperament, etc. can be determined.

I think its around the 4 month old give or take range, but not quite sure with the feed store telling us the wromg age of it when itnwas a poult. Thank you though i will def keep an eye on itnas it grows

It is not the normal development pattern. I won't use them as breeders because they tend to pass the undesirable trait on to their offspring.
More specifically, what's bad about slow-developing? Does it have to do with meat qualities? Laying qualities? Or is it just one of those things, like a short nose on a dachshund, that's not preferred because then it wouldn't look like a dachshund?

More specifically, what's bad about slow-developing? Does it have to do with meat qualities? Laying qualities? Or is it just one of those things, like a short nose on a dachshund, that's not preferred because then it wouldn't look like a dachshund?
More specifically it is not the normal development cycle. When selling turkeys, people want to know the sex of the poults as early as possible. A late bloomer does not help when you can tell them the sex of all except that one particular one.

As far as hurting the meat qualities, the one and only late bloomer I have had was deemed to be delicious. I have not noticed "late development" in hens, only in toms so have no idea how it would affect egg laying. Late developing toms also tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order which is just one more reason I would not choose one as my breeder.

Back
Top Bottom