Turkey Egg Incubation?

Just set my turkey eggs on Thursday, so it is too early for me to know which are developing. (I also set 6 chicken and 3 guinea eggs šŸ¤£).
Looks like both of you get to go first! Let me know how your hatches go ā¤ļø

if itā€™s ok Iā€™d love to share the outcome here. Iā€™m just patiently waiting And fighting with the incubators humidity level. šŸ˜¬

Incubators are like people seems like...takes a bit to get them. I got a new one for my chicks recently. I used my older one that I have the hang of for my turkeys. Staggered hatch.. one week apart. First part of the staggered batch of 12 actually 100 percent(for first batch) hatch rate..hatched yesterday Saturday and Sunday. 6 turkeys hatched. 6 more to hatch this coming weekend. I used my older incubator for the first 24 days and I used my newer bigger one for lockdown. I tried for 45 percent humidity..sometimes it hit 50 and higher for lockdown. Mine are A mix.. Narragansett and domestic wild turkey cross..I traded eggs with a neighbor..šŸ˜ I like trading.

My new incubator had some issues..it has reservoirs which I can't see. Then I started using one of those medicine things with a plunger to put water in(what you use to put medicine in your dog's mouth). That way I have more control. I had temp and humidity spikes..I only got 12 out of 38 eggs to hatch.these we're chicken eggs. But I did get the hang of the humidity. I should of run it before incubation but I was so excited.
if itā€™s ok Iā€™d love to share the outcome here. Iā€™m just patiently waiting And fighting with the incubators humidity level. šŸ˜¬

Incubators are like people seems like...takes a bit to get them. I got a new one for my chicks recently. I used my older one that I have the hang of for my turkeys. Staggered hatch.. one week apart. First part of the staggered batch of 12 actually 100 percent(for first batch) hatch rate..hatched yesterday Saturday and Sunday. 6 turkeys hatched. 6 more to hatch this coming weekend. I used my older incubator for the first 24 days and I used my newer bigger one for lockdown. I tried for 45 percent humidity..sometimes it hit 50 and higher for lockdown. Mine are A mix.. Narragansett and domestic wild turkey cross..I traded eggs with a neighbor..šŸ˜ I like trading.
Youā€™re absolutely right about incubators.
Trading sounds like fun. These will be our first turkeys so we have nothing to trade with yet.

My new incubator had some issues..it has reservoirs which I can't see. Then I started using one of those medicine things with a plunger to put water in(what you use to put medicine in your dog's mouth). That way I have more control. I had temp and humidity spikes..I only got 12 out of 38 eggs to hatch.these we're chicken eggs. But I did get the hang of the humidity. I should of run it before incubation but I was so excited.
Someone suggested to me to use a squeeze bottle for the one I am hatching in. Since it has a hole in it to add water for humidity. Funny without a manual I didnā€™t know what the hole was for until he told me that. šŸ˜‚ Anyway I searched my house and all I found were straws. So I did that a few times. Than it dawned on me šŸ’”šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø that I could use a baby nose sucker. Low and behold while I was digging in medicine cabinet I found a brand new medicine dropper. So thatā€™s my new water adder for the incubator. I had a brand new sponge so I cut it in half and laid it in the bottom and I just keep squirting that through the hole. I am able to keep it around 48% that way. They should pip anytime after tonight. So hereā€™s to hope.
You know what I wish though? That my incubator had a light in it. Like in an oven so I can check on them without using the flashlight on my phone. Just flick the light on do my inspection and flick it off.

Attachments

• 8735D382-02A3-4405-89D9-B6E634754B1F.jpeg
    8735D382-02A3-4405-89D9-B6E634754B1F.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 5
Someone suggested to me to use a squeeze bottle for the one I am hatching in. Since it has a hole in it to add water for humidity. Funny without a manual I didnā€™t know what the hole was for until he told me that. šŸ˜‚ Anyway I searched my house and all I found were straws. So I did that a few times. Than it dawned on me šŸ’”šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø that I could use a baby nose sucker. Low and behold while I was digging in medicine cabinet I found a brand new medicine dropper. So thatā€™s my new water adder for the incubator. I had a brand new sponge so I cut it in half and laid it in the bottom and I just keep squirting that through the hole. I am able to keep it around 48% that way. They should pip anytime after tonight. So hereā€™s to hope.
You know what I wish though? That my incubator had a light in it. Like in an oven so I can check on them without using the flashlight on my phone. Just flick the light on do my inspection and flick it off.
Lol..I was using a flashlight myself..my incubator was in the bedroom..and I was worried about lockdown. I would use the flashlight at night so I wouldn't have to turn on the light.lol

Back
Top Bottom