Turkey Feed

Mine have done fine on layer mash, scratch, and whatever they scratch up. I get good, thick shelled, high fertility eggs.

Is it layer mash for chickens? what is the protein? Purina makes a game bird layer mash but I think its hard to find. http://wildlife.purinamills.com/nutritionmanagement/ECMD2-0017384.aspx
My poults are still young but I want to make sure I get them on the best food possible when they are ready to start laying next year. Thanks for your help.

I just feed mash from the local elevator, no bagged brand name, because I like the freshness. And we get extra oyster shell added to the ton when we buy it. It's tested at 16% average protein. The birds maintain just fine on it. My Narragansett hen laid 128 eggs this year on that diet.

I use a 17 to 20 % game bird feed, and I mix a 16% chick starter. I usually mix a 1 to 1 ratio. This keeps the feed prices down.
As soon as my poults are old enough to be left out, they will free range and supplement with the same mix.
Right now my poults are 3 months old, and I free feed them as much as they want.
I have Beltsvilles and Bourbon Reds. I also have a tom that stays out free ranges 24/7 and we supplement his food once a day.
This is the way we do it here. Seems to work for us.
Dennis

Back
Top Bottom