Turkey hen keeps crouching, how to dissuade?

Aloeverasaurus

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
So, I’m pretty sure she’s displaying mating behavior, but I’m not really happy about me being the focus. She’s started circling and stepping in front of me, as well as chasing me when I walk away. Is there anyway to break the news that I’m no where near interested?

She's displaying typical behavior of a human imprinted turkey. She does not see any difference between people and turkeys. Even with a good tom, she would very likely refuse him.

She's displaying typical behavior of a human imprinted turkey. She does not see any difference between people and turkeys. Even with a good tom, she would very likely refuse him.
It’s so weird how birds will just assume humans are other birds, especially if raised by humans.

It’s so weird how birds will just assume humans are other birds, especially if raised by humans.
The imprinting happens very early while they are in the brooder. Turkeys are one of the easiest birds to imprint.

Whooping Cranes posed the same problems when their recovery was beginning. Attendants learned that they needed to wear crane costumes in order to avoid imprinting them. The first ones refused to mate with each other because they were human imprinted. They only wanted to mate with their attendants.

I do not human imprint my poults. I do not have these problems. My turkeys will not even approach people.

Back
Top Bottom