Turkey Poults at large

columbiacritter

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
Scappoose Oregon
I let my 7 wk old BR poults out in the yard for the first time last night. I was a little worried some of the roosters might harass them but it was the other way around! The biggest dominant Tom took out after any rooster that looked at any of them funny. He didn't just charge them them walk away he mercilessly chased them until the poor roosters were shrieking in terror. He ignored the hens.

Mostly they just followed me around while I did chores checking everythign out and sampling everything including my poor cat. One of my hounds came over to check them out and ended up becoming a source of complete fascination for them. He had to keep moving or they'd start taste testing any bit of him they could reach. Any time he stopped they'd all run toward him again and he'd have to take off or risk being nibbled to death.

Real funny was when one of my neighbors came over and the big Tom got real pissy with him. He was doing all kinds of threat displays and dominance toward Josh. He definitely knew Josh was a stranger to the yard and therefore had to be put in his place. When my husband came home later the Tom was totally ok with him even though he hasn't spent much time with them.

It will be intersting to watch how their behavior changes as they get bigger and more used to roamign around.

That's so funny! I have been wanting to let my poults out to explore a bit. I have 13 of them. 6 Bourbon reds, 4 blue slates, and 3 narragansett, all of which are 5 weeks old. I'm worried that they might run off and that I won't be able to round them up and get them back into the brooder coop. They don't have a whole lot of room to move around because they have gotten so big! I am just waiting to have a day when I have enough time to process the rest of my roos that are taking up the hoop coop so that I can clean it, move it to a fresh area of grass, and transplant the poults into it as their new grown-up coop. Did you have any trouble getting your poults rounded up or with them wandering off? I'd really love to start letting mine out for a little while while I'm outside.

My poults love exploring! They were all hatched by me and think I'm their mom so they follow me everywhere. I guess this could have a lot to do with why they explore at such a young age but it's still fun to watch them dive at bugs or "bark" at a bird every time one flies by!

Back
Top Bottom