Turkey poults problems

lilstrick 25

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2015
Franklin GA
Ok for some reason my turkey has a leg problem. Now the thing is he was fine perfect health as far as I cab tell eating drinking running playing with the others there about a month old and I come in today and one has a leg problem just below the knee his leg just turned out facing his wing not right the other leg is fine. so it's made it hard for him to walk that one leg kicks out now he can get around and eat and drink but can't walk good run play or land when he flys. Wat I'm looking to learn is Wat it is? And can I help it or is it game over I'd hate to put him down so I'm trying pls help not sure but faster the better more than likely

one of mine, unsure if similar, has had a issue since was guess maybe a week old noticed. now is going on 8 weeks old and sort of same issue, not when walking around but somewhat noticeable at times slight balance issue. But as it sleeps then wakes up does like in these videos, acts like a dying bird that cannot get up with fast movement of legs on side with the inability to stand for several minutes. video links below.
2015-05-28 21.45.00 from b williams on Vimeo.
2015-05-28 21.43.49 from b williams on Vimeo.
if embed dont work:
could this be neurological? none of the other birds are experiencing any related problems. I was advised at the time these videos was created a month ago that the possibility the bird was eating too many pine shavings. I believe now that that is not the problem for the birds are outside all day and ony come in at night to sleep.

Last edited:
I had a chicken that suffered from partial paralysis and a neurological condition. She could barely stand and when she got frightened she would flop around and scream like she was dying. She's not a turkey, but it still could help. The sites about a variety of causes behind paralysis (not only marek's):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

I've heard that balance issues can be caused by inner ear infections.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom