Turkey pricing

Blisschick

not rusty
12 Years
Feb 20, 2007
Shepherd, Texas
Just looking for some ideas...how much does a mature tom turkey usually sell for? I have an extra, and I'm thinking about selling him, but really have no idea what to ask for him.

To be honest, I don't know. But... at our sale barn two weekends ago I saw someone sell a pair for $50.00. I was excited because we had two at the time that we bought for $4.00 a piece when they were poults.

I have a meat turkey and when I was a the local NJ livestock auction last week to see who I could rescue from the cook pot, I asked some people what they thought my turkey might be worth at 19 weeks old and they told me $15-20.00. Not that I'm looking to sell him, of course! I just was curious since I got him for $1.00 as a chick.

I know poults can go for as high as $9.00 apiece. I guess if I put a price of about $25 or 30 on my guy, I'll still be able to sell him.

We sell our poults for $9 and jakes for $25 usually (depends on how fast I want to move them).

Jody

Well, I finally got my self steeled enough to take my tom to the auction and was very surprised at the results! There was a lot of interest in him as I think he was the first turkey of the season there, besides the usual chickens, ducks, pigeons, rabbits, and livestock. Several people wanted me to pull him from auction so they could buy him privately but I resisted. He weighed in at 21 pounds at 18 weeks. The bidding finally ended up at $2.30 per pound and he went for a whopping $48.30! A LOT more than I anticipated! And to top it off, I know the man who bought him and he is going to keep him as a pet and I can visit! I gotta print out the photos of him as a baby for the man because he wants to put them up on the wall! He is a local restaurant owner who has various poultry running loose in the yard as a promotional thing. I know he'll have a good home. A very good thing!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
What are jakes

A jake is an young male. Adult males are toms.

Rowanm - good job on the auction. Auctions can go either way tho. Sounds like you and your turkey got lucky.

Jody​

Yes, we got very lucky! I visited the place where he resides now and the man who bought him said Turkey has been wandering around the restaurant yard and the man's wife said she can pet him and she puts him up at night in the barn. They are in love with him and apparently money is no object for them. Very lucky Turkey!!!

Back
Top Bottom