Turkey Talk for 2014

I only processed 2 broad breasted turkey both toms one is over 40 lbs and one was 35 lbs. I sold all the extra ones I had for the year and ran out.

The 40+ is going to be out Thanksgiving dinner. :)

Last edited:
We butchered one of our bourbon red tom's on Saturday for Thanksgiving. He ended up weighing in right at 10 lbs. This is our first time butchering so we made a few mistakes but I guess it's a learning curve.

He looks mighty tasty but we will see come Thursday afternoon. He sure does have alot of fat on him so hopefully he will be nice and juicy. Took us about 2 hours to do everything. We dry plucked him as we read that it was easier, which it seemed to be pretty easy to do. The only thing we used the hot water for was the feathers on the wing tips, they didn't want to come out, but the water made it very easy.

The hardest part for us was trying to get the stomach out, it was firmly attached to the wall of his chest cavity. Everything we looked up online said it was simple and easy to pull out, not for us, we kinda botched that part. Rinsed him out real good, cleaned him, then soaked him for an hour then put him in the fridge. Hope we did it right.

I have a question, how long should the rigor mortis take to come out of the bird. It seems to be almost completely gone now but it took about 36 hours it seems. Does that sound right?

Here are a few pictures:

We butchered one of our bourbon red tom's on Saturday for Thanksgiving. He ended up weighing in right at 10 lbs. This is our first time butchering so we made a few mistakes but I guess it's a learning curve.

He looks mighty tasty but we will see come Thursday afternoon. He sure does have alot of fat on him so hopefully he will be nice and juicy. Took us about 2 hours to do everything. We dry plucked him as we read that it was easier, which it seemed to be pretty easy to do. The only thing we used the hot water for was the feathers on the wing tips, they didn't want to come out, but the water made it very easy.

The hardest part for us was trying to get the stomach out, it was firmly attached to the wall of his chest cavity. Everything we looked up online said it was simple and easy to pull out, not for us, we kinda botched that part. Rinsed him out real good, cleaned him, then soaked him for an hour then put him in the fridge. Hope we did it right.

I have a question, how long should the rigor mortis take to come out of the bird. It seems to be almost completely gone now but it took about 36 hours it seems. Does that sound right?
I let mine rest for 2-3 days so 36 hours is about right. I've never really tested them to see when it is gone, I just go 2-3 days and know I'm safe.
How old was he, 10 lb is a little small for a Bourbon Red, so I'm guessing he was less than 6 months. Most people wait at least 6 months before butchering a heritage turkey, since it takes a while for them to fill out. Let us know how he tastes! Are you going to brine him?
BTW, what you had trouble getting out is the crop, not the stomach, and yes it is firmly attached to the chest wall and can get covered in fat. I use dry paper towel to help get a grip on it because everything is so slippery! The crop is just a temporary holding place for food and does no digestion. The stomach is much smaller and attached to the gizzard.

I agree 10lbs for a Bourbon Red is small (not that that is a bad thing). I would like to hear his age also. I have 7 Bourbon Reds being done today so I will post back with their weights tonight.

I agree 10lbs for a Bourbon Red is small (not that that is a bad thing). I would like to hear his age also. I have 7 Bourbon Reds being done today so I will post back with their weights tonight.

I liked hearing it was only 10 pounds. I feel better not having butchered barely 6 month old turkey. We will be eating my 10 pound 15 ounce CX instead. Also I get another month to decide which tom to cull.

He was exactly 28 weeks old as he was born on Mother's Day this year. We have two more toms and 3 hens. We are going to butcher the other tom for Christmas so hopefully he will weigh more. The hens I might wait on two of them till spring. We are going to keep the one hen and are keeping the one tom. I like the paper towel idea, my hubby agrees.

The one tom got clobbered by the other two and almost died, even the hens were ripping him to shreds, so we put him with the chickens. Well he survived and now has turned into a big baby sitter for my English Game Hen's flock of 2 month old kiddos. She is overly protective and runs all the other chickens away from them, but this big ole tom turkey she doesn't mind and her babies cuddle up to him on the roost. If any of the other chickens make an aggressive move towards the little ones this tom goes after them and steps on them.

Does anybody have a good brine recipe? When should I put the turkey in a brine solution, the night before? or sooner. Thanks in advance.

He was exactly 28 weeks old as he was born on Mother's Day this year. We have two more toms and 3 hens. We are going to butcher the other tom for Christmas so hopefully he will weigh more. The hens I might wait on two of them till spring. We are going to keep the one hen and are keeping the one tom. I like the paper towel idea, my hubby agrees.

The one tom got clobbered by the other two and almost died, even the hens were ripping him to shreds, so we put him with the chickens. Well he survived and now has turned into a big baby sitter for my English Game Hen's flock of 2 month old kiddos. She is overly protective and runs all the other chickens away from them, but this big ole tom turkey she doesn't mind and her babies cuddle up to him on the roost. If any of the other chickens make an aggressive move towards the little ones this tom goes after them and steps on them.

Does anybody have a good brine recipe? When should I put the turkey in a brine solution, the night before? or sooner. Thanks in advance.

We like to brine for 24 hours but it can be shorter. We also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE using oven bags! I have also brined just using purified water, salt, sugar and dry spices instead of the vegetable stock because I was in a hurry and it was good that way also.

These are ideas from several different people. Heritage birds are best cooked on low heat (250 degree F) for
long periods of time. Cooking with moist heat, such as in an oven bag, cookware with heavy lid, or crock pot, will help tenderize meat.

Base is vegetable stock. Easy to make if you don't have it. Large stock pot with
lots of good water: Root veggies of choice, some would be leeks, carrots,
celery, onions, garlic, turnips, parsnips, etc. Cut in chunks and wash well,
skin can stay on. Herbs of choice, some people use juniper berries;
whole peppercorns, bay leaf, rosemary, thyme, parsley, marjoram, etc. Simmer as
long as possible, at least 2 hours, then add 2:1 (2 cups salt to 1 cup of sugar) salt versus
sugar. Sea salt and kosher are the two best, brown sugar or whatever you
prefer. Add these when hot to dissolve fast. Strain everything out and if you are in a hurry,
add 5 lbs or so of ice to cool quickly and then dunk the bird. You may need
to add a heavy plate, etc., on top to keep it from rising to the top. Brining
can be done in just an hour, but should be done for a minimum of 8 hours. My
favorite would be to brine for 12-16 hours. If in a cold area, you could probably
set the stock pot outside for this. My frig never has enough room, so it's either outside or
place pot in a huge cooler and surround with ice in warmer temps. You can also brine in
an oven bag in the frig and just turn the bird every few hours. I have even cooked a turkey
in the brine without even draining. Amazing how juicy this makes a turkey. Most
recommend patting dry and then adding your butter, herbs, etc., under the skin and roast.
My thoughts are: taste the brine before adding bird, if it seems extra salty, then you may want
to quickly rinse bird and then pat dry.

We have always added fresh herbs, celery, apples either whole or halves, and
half onions in the cavity to help the bird cook evenly. Lastly before
roasting: Add olive oil to outside skin and massage that bird for even
browning.

For turkey, I use a brine and use 1 cup Kosher salt and 1 cup sugar to a gallon of water and whatever spices I want. I usually add cranberry juice and orange juice too. I mix mine in a cooler and add ice every day maybe a couple of times. I soak them for 2-3 days.

Whew, finished 9 turkeys. All bagged, weighed, everybody has been notified their turkey is ready. It is a good thing I bought a spare refrigerator this year since by the time the birds were done, it is too late in the day for people to come over to pick them up. These birds were 6 to 7 months old. Tom weights processed, including neck and giblets, were 12.47 smallest up to 15.56 heaviest. I am very pleased with the way they look.

Back
Top Bottom