Turkey Talk for 2014

Thank you so much for all that information. That sounds easy enough and I will most definitely try that. Here in Kentucky, I never know if it's going to be warm or cold. Was in the upper 60's yesterday and early today, now it's getting cold again, after 4 inches of snow last week. I think it's supposed to be on the cooler end this week so I will be able to put the bird outside.

Whew, finished 9 turkeys. All bagged, weighed, everybody has been notified their turkey is ready. It is a good thing I bought a spare refrigerator this year since by the time the birds were done, it is too late in the day for people to come over to pick them up. These birds were 6 to 7 months old. Tom weights processed, including neck and giblets, were 12.47 smallest up to 15.56 heaviest. I am very pleased with the way they look.

Very good! What variety do you raise?

My 7 were done also, all Bourbon Reds. Six of the Toms were about 6.5-7months old. They weighed in at 10.5, 11, 12, 12, 12.5, and 13. And my 2yr 4month old Tom weighed in at 19lbs. I just sold the 13lb turkey to a customer tonight, complete blitz adding in the neck and giblets to the weight even though I was just talking about prior with my family
th.gif

Im happy with the results of my Toms, to be honest I was hoping they would be a little bigger though.

Last edited:
Taking my 6 BBW toms to the processor in the am. Built this carrier. Here are my boys. This is my first year for turkeys. Sold 3. Both excited and sad, love my turkeys...

Very good! What variety do you raise?

"Variety?" Singular?? Well I am a turkey addict so can not settle for one. I raise Bourbon Red, Royal Palm, Pencilled Palm (black and white, tricolor, and red), Slate and Self Blue, Lilac and this coming year I will have two Blue Red Bronze hens with my Lilac tom which will produce more of both plus some Red Slate. My project for this year was to raise up more Pencilled Palms because I only had one hen. So quite a few that I butchered were extra PP toms. I only held back one, a black and white. I already had a tricolor tom (the father) and a red.

"Variety?" Singular?? Well I am a turkey addict so can not settle for one. I raise Bourbon Red, Royal Palm, Pencilled Palm (black and white, tricolor, and red), Slate and Self Blue, Lilac and this coming year I will have two Blue Red Bronze hens with my Lilac tom which will produce more of both plus some Red Slate. My project for this year was to raise up more Pencilled Palms because I only had one hen. So quite a few that I butchered were extra PP toms. I only held back one, a black and white. I already had a tricolor tom (the father) and a red.

Wow that is a lot of varieties. You must have tons of turkeys.

I keep one variety, Im down to 9 turkeys, hopefully soon I will be down to only 6
fl.gif

Wow that is a lot of varieties. You must have tons of turkeys.

I keep one variety, Im down to 9 turkeys, hopefully soon I will be down to only 6
fl.gif

Yes, it is getting as bad as the chickens, where I have to keep track of them on a computer spreadsheet to even know how many I have
hide.gif

They are expensive to keep here because no free range and I feed only certified organic...those Thanksgiving toms were eating a lot! But I enjoy them
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom