Turkey Treats

Olive

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 24, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Ia
Does anybody know what kind of treats turkeys like? I've tried grapes, lettuce, corn and bread and they don't like anything so far. Anybody have any suggestions?

are they wild or tame?The wild ones around here like tomatoe and other things out of my garden.Maybe melons?

I have 2 blue slates and 2 royal palms... they love just about everything I give them... watermelon, macaroni salad, tomatoes, yams, corn, greenbeans, bell peppers, and believe it or not... they fight over onions LOL!!! They also love chicken scratch and bread... I'm sittin here wracking my brain of things we have fed ours... if I come up with anymore, I will let you know.

Have you tried eating what you are feeding them.Like eat a slice of something and have some for them put you figure by theirs at act like yous pecking at them.or just keep trying.
We have a large flock of wild that comes almost daily since the chickens moved outside.We really enjoy them.

I know my aunts min whites like smashed pumpkin (mostly for the seeds
cool.png
). hope it helps.

Tomatoes and black oil sunflower seeds are our turkey favorites. They also like wild blueberries and huckleberries, but those are out of season here right now. It does take them time to realize you're offering something yummy and being that they're only 8 wks old, I wouldn't get too concerned. Just keep trying different stuff until you find what they like. Remember to keep it as a treat tho..they get smart really fast and learn to wait for the yummies and let their healthy pellets sit.

Jody

Definitely try several different treats early. Our RP and Slates pretty much only got grapes/watermelon/peaches and BOSS. Now that they are over two yr. old they are some picky characters.

Toms will stand around and scratch at us with their beaks until something tasty shows up...

I got them to eat bread, but I have to hand feed them. They don't like the crust. They are so funny they think they need bread everytime I come outside. They won't go into the barn by themselves. They sit outside their door every night and wait for me to pick them up and put them inside. this morning I had to go inside pick them up off their perch and put them outside.

Back
Top Bottom