Turkey treats?

Would love to know too, I am new to turkeys & I was just going to check out google for the answer....mine do like a little bread , a little cracked corn.......they seem fussy compared to my chickens
big_smile.png

Mine will run over any turkey in the way for bread they didn't get excited over watermelon or even grass but they will chirrup for bread and if I crinkle the wrapper it starts the ruckus very entertaining

Certain types of young grass, ants eggs, big caterpillars, young banana plant shoots, papaya, lettuce, all of our new shoots and leaves in the garden, flying termites, anything that one of the others has in its beak.

I asked this exact question...evenused the thread title "turkey treats" a few weeks ago, and while I got several good answers, the one that I'd NEVER have thought of but which turned out to be both ingenious and (based on the reaction the turkeys show when I give them to them) is..... JAPANESE BEETLES. I mean, common sense tells you that any turkey is going to go crazy for a real live (or dead) bug, but until someone suggested a source I'd have never thought about a way to get an unlimited, free (almost), easy source of real bugs.....which is this case is those Japanese Beetle Traps!!!! I don't know about where you live, but I live in town and still can fill a "bag of beetles" in about 2 days! As a means of really getting rid of the beetles it is said that they bring in more than they catch and therefore have a negative net effect on the beetle population on a given property. ANd as an aside, I'd rarely even seen a japanese beetle in my yard and yet within minutes of hanging the trap they started flying in like crazy!!!! Anyway.....

In terms of Turkey Treats, what could be better than a few handfulls of REAL bugs....the very thing that turkeys spend all day searching and pecking around for???? When I dump my bag (or part of it usually) Its sooooo entertaining to watch my birds go insane for those little bugs!!!!

So, there it is. Not my idea, but darn good one nonetheless!

Back
Top Bottom