Turkey vultures?

Turkey vultures WILL kill and eat small chicks. We had a dozen babies- six white leghorns and six Rhode Island reds- in a coop within a topless pen- I got a call at work asking if it was OK to let out the chicks.
Since I always stay with them when they were outside the coop I said yes.
Follow up call an hour later revealed two Turkey Vultures had turned eleven of twelve babies into shredded tweet- just feathers and feet.
Thet were scared away, and the twelfth chick which was dropped outside the pen, was found by a neighbors grandchild, immediately named lucky chick, and became the matriarch of the small flock we bought to replace the dead babies.
With no rooster, she took it upon herself to lay in the early AM and her eggsong was louder than a rooster crowing. She announced the morning sun as well as any brother could.
Mom identified the perps from a bird book as TV's.
I still have hawks watching my yard, but my muscovy ducks (frwee range) are all too large to be of interest to them; the coyotes are the real threats at this point in time.

We have a "flock" of about 30 Turkey Vultures every winter. It is kinds creepy when they line the ridge vent of the house and our neighbors for their roost, but they have never bothered my chickens or chicks. The roosters don't really like them and do tend to send a warning growl out when they start coming in to roost. They will fly kinda low to the ground then back up. The girls just ignore them.

We get tons of them and they never attack our adult birds,however they will go after young ones sometimes but so do the crows.

Turkey vultures WILL kill and eat small chicks. We had a dozen babies- six white leghorns and six Rhode Island reds- in a coop within a topless pen- I got a call at work asking if it was OK to let out the chicks.

To be fair, nearly everything will eat small chicks, even squirrels, rats, etc. Small chicks should always be protected. They are just too tempting of a snack to the majority of wild animals.

One thing I've noticed is the movement of birds when birds of prey are near. The other thing I've noticed is that birds of prey seem to be accompanied by vultures. Usually I see the vultures first. You may also have a fox den near by with some hidden kills you haven't seen yet (or perhaps some road kill). Anyway, they are anticipating some predatorial activity. I can't say the vultures would do anything themselves but I just don't know. I would take it as a sign that predators are nearby and probably watching.

I have also noticed the turkey vultures come around about the same time as other hawks.

Back
Top Bottom