Turkey with hurt toe

EggHunter_66

Songster
13 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Box Springs,Georgia
I have a 3 month old turkey who hurt his toe about 5 days ago. We have no idea what happened but one night while putting the birds in the coop we noticed it was bleeding. My husband looked at it and said it looked like his nail broke...okay no big deal. Well, the next day it swelled and we couldnt even see were or even why it was bleeding the night before. so the past 5 days or so you can tell it bothering him, seeing it all puffed and he really doesnt want to walk on it we thought maybe he broke the toe. Tonight when I got in from work and the birds come to greet me along side our dogs I noticed the turkey kept pecking at his bad toe, at that point he was starting to cause a sore. So now his toe is swollen and now has a open sore spot on top that he made...WHAT DO I DO?

I would clean it and use some antibiotic ointment; whatever you have on hand for yourself. If you can figutre out a way to keep a dressing in place so he will leave it alone, that would be good. Her really needs to be confined to a cage of some sort, to rest the foot.

Definitely keep on clean bedding if possible. Blu Kote is available at feedstores and might be useful (can be sprayed on as often as needed). One can also use antibiotic ointment and wrap the toe in cotton gauze bandage (duct tape works to keep dressing in place - will usually stay on for about a day).

Back
Top Bottom