Turkey with swollen face

Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
So I was just given a pair of black Spanish cross turkeys. The male's face is quite swollen, which we knew about before we brought them home. We know the person who gave them to us and he said he thinks they got into a fight and the facial swelling was from that. I do not see any injury/punctures/scratches/etc. Just a lot of swelling and it is making his eye water. It has been drained once (before I got him) and now I'm trying to decide what needs to be done next. The female looks totally fine, both are acting normal, good appetites, getting along with the chickens that came with them.

Is there any other reason for this kind of swelling that I should be concerned about? Do I need to drain it again? If so, how should I do that? Any other symptoms I should check for? Medications I should administer?

The birds are currently isolated from the rest of my flock and in a space where I can get my hands on him if I have to. Only one of the chickens looked a little rough and I think she got kind of choked up when she was held upside down last night. She is acting better today.

Pictures coming...

So I was just given a pair of black Spanish cross turkeys. The male's face is quite swollen, which we knew about before we brought them home. We know the person who gave them to us and he said he thinks they got into a fight and the facial swelling was from that. I do not see any injury/punctures/scratches/etc. Just a lot of swelling and it is making his eye water. It has been drained once (before I got him) and now I'm trying to decide what needs to be done next. The female looks totally fine, both are acting normal, good appetites, getting along with the chickens that came with them.

Is there any other reason for this kind of swelling that I should be concerned about? Do I need to drain it again? If so, how should I do that? Any other symptoms I should check for? Medications I should administer?

The birds are currently isolated from the rest of my flock and in a space where I can get my hands on him if I have to. Only one of the chickens looked a little rough and I think she got kind of choked up when she was held upside down last night. She is acting better today.

Pictures coming...
Show pictures. It is likely caused by fighting. It is not really common but on occasion the fighting causes an air sac leak. This causes the affected area to swell up like a balloon. The cure is to lance the site and let the air escape.

We need to see pictures so we know whether or not this is what is going on.

Here's a few pics from this afternoon. The swollen area is now a kind of bruised color, was paler earlier in the day. Oh, and his beak is growing back after being in a fight with his dad so yes it is shorter than it should be.
IMG_1505.JPG
IMG_1530.PNG

Back
Top Bottom